Location: SE 82nd and Harney, Cartlandia
Hours: Wed-Sun, 11am-6pm
The Story: There are very few local delis from the 70′s who are still in business one way or another. When I discover one that strikes a gut memory from childhood, I grin, stop and eat. Sandwich Depot Deli has been around since 1978 and still makes a great sandwich.
I visited this truck out at Cartlandia on SE 82nd by the Springwater Corridor. While the east wind kicked up, the truck was situated just right to block enough so I didn’t freeze. Brett, owner and longtime sandwich maker started off on NE Glisan in the late 70′s and fed more than a few people who probably remember the great little deli. Fast forward to the 21st century and Brett has set up shop in a food truck – this era’s deli, but with wheels. Having had such a tenure with meat, cheese and bread, I deferred to him for my lunch. He recommended the Black Russian – dark rye bread from Portland French Bakery, mayo, cream cheese, swiss, lettuce, tomato, turkey and roast beef with Russian dressing. This is the sandwich I would throw together whenever I had direct access to a deli case. Large, thick with flavor and satisfying.
Sandwich Depot Deli is open Wednesday-Sunday from 11-6pm. They offer a variety of custom sandwiches and subs or you can build your own. If you’re out that way and craving a sammy, drop on by and let Brett know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Build your own sandwich with your choice of meat, cheese and condiments – $6
- Build your own sub – $6.50
- California Special – choice of bread, mayo, cream cheese, swiss, lettuce, tomato, turkey, avocado, bacon, thousand island – $6.50
- Black Russian – $6.50
- Green House - choice of bread, mayo, cream cheese, pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, avocado – $6.50
- Crazy Joe Sub – may, provolone, lettuce, tomato, salami, onions