Location: SW 3rd and Washington
Hours: Tues-Thurs, 11-4; Fri, 11-4 and 9pm-2am; Sat, 11am-9pm
Multicultural Comfort Food is the theme for I Heart This Cart, one of the newest to join the vendors at SW 3rd and Washington. Looking at the diverse items on the menu, I see what they mean.
On a cool windy January day, I read the entire menu trying to decide which amazing item I wanted. Cory, the chef, has an eclectic blend of sandwiches, soups and event homemade mac and cheese. Cory’s been cooking since his teens and was the head chef at the Lake Hotel at Yellowstone National Park for two years. Nice resume. Also, when neighboring food cart owners urge you to visit, you gotta know it’s going to be good.
At I Heart this Cart you can pick up small bites like Arancinis or full size sandwiches like a seasonal po’boy with pork belly or a classic Philly cheese steak. I chose the hearty Southwest Mac and Cheese with chipotle cream sauce, cavatappi pasta and tossed with black beans, sweet corn, scallions, roasted red pepper and sided with a few tortilla chips. At Cory’s recommendation, I added in pork belly. A hearty meal served in a GO Box, I loved that it wasn’t a traditional cheesy cheesy Mac and Cheese. The sauce had a spicy bite, but mild and smoky from the chipotle. Al dente pasta is the perfect choice. More like an al fredo sauce. Did I mention the pork belly added in a wonderful creamy fattiness also. More than I could finish in one sitting.
I Heart This Cart had a steady stream of patrons while I stood around chatting with other vendors. Cory has built a following in the three short months he’s been open and is here for the long term. Drop on by next time you’re looking for something new and let him know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Arancini – 2 breaded risotto balls stuffed with Parmesan and fresh Mozzarella, deep fried and served with marinara – $4
- Chicken and Dumplings – braised chicken thighs, brussell sprouts, root vegetables and potato dumplings – $7
- Southwest Mac and Cheese – $8; add protein for $2
- Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese with Vegan Tomato Soup – $7
- Seasonal Po’Boy – braised and seared pork belly, apple fennel and radicchio slaw, served with a curried remoulade sauce on po’boy roll – $8
- Classic Philly Cheesesteak – $4/half; $7/full
Facebook: I Heart This Cart