Portland’s Downtown Food Cart Pods To Close

Today, The Oregonian reported that the Goodman Family has announced one of their most ambitious projects for downtown Portland. The  Ankeny Blocks will comprise of 11 new towers in and around Burnside to Washington from 6th to the waterfront. 11 towers! Let that sink in for a minute. Where will they all go?

If you don’t know the Goodman family, over the last century they accumulated a vast portfolio of downtown real estate in the form of surface parking lots and built a parking empire named City Center Parking. The land is owned by the family and others, but the parking management company was sold to a Canadian firm a few years ago. The Goodmans now will affect significant change both to the Portland skyline and to the density of downtown. And that means 60-70 food cart vendors will need to find new homes.

Portland Food Carts

5th and Stark Food Cart Pod

The food cart lots at SW 5th and Stark (Portland’s oldest and original food cart pod,) SW 3rd and Washington and SW 2nd and Stark will be no more. The development calls for those lots to become mixed use buildings. It was inevitable in the era of ever increasing development and evolution of this city we call home, I just wasn’t prepared to read on a Saturday morning that 1/2 of the food cart pods in downtown Portland will see their demise sooner than later.

Now I have a call to action. Portland is unique with street food in this country. Most every other city has food trucks who move about in and out of the city center, park and serve their patrons. Portland doesn’t due to an outdated “no business in the right of way” law enforced by Portland Bureau of Transportation. In cities like Boston, Washington DC and Seattle, parking zones in the city center are identified where food trucks are allowed to park and sell for a set amount of hours. If the food cart vendors in downtown Portland want to continue serving the downtown crowd, laws need to be changed. Food cart owners need to come together and get in front of City Council and let them know that Portland street food scene is part of the city fabric. Every city has it, so as we develop, we need to find a way to keep it.

If there are any vendors who want to lead this charge, contact me, Brett Burmeister, and I will help you identify the city codes that need to be discussed and who to talk with.

In the past 3 months, 2 food cart pods have closed as a result of development and 1 more will close soon. While these are on the east side and other food cart pods have opened, it is disturbing to see so many vendors displaced all at once. Portland’s street food scene is now going to experience a change that may portend a sad future for the vendors, employees and eaters. Hopefully, our city leaders can see the value in small business and adjust accordingly.

Comments

1. “Where will they go?”

they’re fucking carts, bro. they’ll move on or die off, it’s how the industry works.

2. marco vandegraaf says:

wonder if they will be smart enough to have the bottom or the top floor of their parking empire as a food pod?

3. Lies.

4. It would be nice if Pioneer Place would make micro restaurants in the mall, like Bethany Village, and then rent out, at rates similar to what the carts pay at the lots, spaces. It’s very sad that with the exception of 2 places in the food court, they ALL serve some of the same food. They can’t say they’ll lose any money, the place is half empty already, and has been for years.

5. Is there any wy to stop the 11 towers?! I don’t know anyone who wants Portland to turn into such a place…this isn’t Portland.

6. This is devastating news to anyone who appreciates Portland with personality. It’s the same shit that’s happening in Seattle, and it is heinous all the way round.

7. Do you know when the carts at 3rd and Washington will shut down and construction will begin?

I stop at those carts on my daily Free Walking Tour of downtown Portland…

So bummed out to read this post! The food cart stop is definitely one of the best on my tour. Plus I’m close friends with many of the cart owners.

8. Concerned citizen says:

Someone needs to start a petition to stop this!

9. In December I was in Washington DC for a few weeks and the food carts were parked on the street in spots with parking meters. They were all lined up in one area and seemed to be very popular even in the cold weather. My only issue was that they were using foam cartons for the food they sold, so the trash cans were overflowing with all these foam products and half eaten food. While I realize that this is a problem where any food carts are, I would hope the Portland area would encourage recycling containers if the trucks were to line up on the street.

10. This is so messed up..The food carts are part of Portland. Why make them move. So pissed off

11. Janine Louvel says:

Portland is over. Time to pack up

12. Feygon Willow says:

This city needs to grow upward. If a single one of these new buildings brings more housing to Portland, that’s a net gain.

13. I’ not from Portland however I have traveled there many of times and have fallen in love with the unique food experiences they offer. This makes me really sad to know that the next time I travel there I might not see my favorite food carts standing anymore. If there’s any petition or duties that i could perform I would love to help as this I feel is a cornerstone of the uniqueness that is Portland.

14. I moved here 7 years ago and that block of food carts is what makes Portland’s downtown what it is. The Goodman’s are gutting the very thing that makes Portland great. When people visi, they always ask about the food carts. I feel it’s going to hurt tourism.

15. Samuel Augustus Jennings says:

I am sorry to hear this. We just lost our beloved YMCA in downtown DC to office towers. Members are pissed.

16. Would love to help and talk further. We have developed a late night street food market for food cart/ tent vendors – not trucks. We have similar issues w laws or lack of them making it difficult to get appropriate permits. Eat St. Food market is based out of Atlanta GA in the historic old 4th ward.

17. More money and greed. A shame to take away the small business owners who are trying to make a living. Good luck to the food truck vendors. I hope you can win this fight. From someone who lives in a small town with lots of important history. We are also getting overrun by towering high rises which will cause more traffic congestion and create less unity. It’s all about the big boys with the bigger sticks … Sad. Love from PA.

18. robert horton says:

I work right by both of these locations and use them frequently. I wont be able to eat lunch other than what i bring with me now. This article uses the word “development”…but all i see is a takeover and an assult on a way of life for customers and food cart owners.

19. Property investors are making Portland unlivable. The charm of Portland is becoming no more.

20. So having lived in both DC (which has foodtrucks) and Portland (food carts), I have to say they create different types of community, even if they’re both fabulous street food. Trucks are great for business people who buy their lunch everyday, people who want to track their favorite food’s location an an app and then haul ass to get there before they move again, and for people who want to hire a foodtruck to come to their event.

Food carts, by contrast, become part of the neighborhood. You can plan on them being there, which makes them easier to enjoy for people who either have less time to hunt down a foodtruck or less money to make an unplanned purchase because today’s the day the food truck’s in your neighborhood.

Both create great food and unique communities, and if the only way for Portland foodcarts to survive is to turn into foodtrucks, so be it. But they’re not the same, and I personally like the food carts better than the trucks.

21. Get ready for more whining about changes. Here it comes. I wait, it already started.

22. The real value of the downtown food carts in my opinion is that you can have an overwhelming density of culinary options all made by independent creators. This is a sustainable business model and source of rent revenue for the Goodman’s. Why can’t this be recreated in the new buildings? Architects out there – is a ground level food cart pod possible as part of new construction?

23. Jim Heffernan says:

“. . . it is disturbing to see so many vendors displaced all at once.” All at once? They’re not going to stagr development? They’re actually going to evict all three cart pods all at once?

24. I would contact Suzy Phillips from Gypsy Queen Cuisine food truck in Asheville NC.

About five years ago, she waged an eighteen month siege against the city council here to change their antiquated laws about food in the CBD, our version of your right of way. She would have a plethora of advice I think about what you’re going to face.

25. In Singapore, the second floor of many office building is comprised of food courts consisting of a bunch of central seating and amenities like water stations, bussing stations, etc. surround by a bunch of what are, effectively, indoor food carts. You can get the most amazing food there quickly and for a reasonable price and nobody has to stand outside sweltering in the heat. How about working with the developers to see if something similar can be with these new towers?

26. I guess “progressive” only applies to things you don’t want to evolve? If that area is a working business model then why not encourage the builder to established the street front with micro restaurants and give first dibs to the current renters. That seems like a much more potentially effective use of your energy. Most food cart owners I know would rather operate out of a micro restaurant than deal with the cart.

27. Joe Telafici says:

In Singapore, they have food cart pods on the second floor of most office buildings. Everyone stays cool (or dry in our case) and people living or working in the building don’t even have to leave to eat. And the buildings have a way to entice in pedestrians. Why not work with the developers here to see if the same thing can be acheived?

28. Whee – isn’t it nice that rich people get to decide what our city will be like?

29. Nina Rene Soreco says:

Yet another sad, ham-fisted blow to what makes Portland Portland. I hope and would expect the city (and the Goodmans, if they care about Portland at all) to step up with a plan to keep vendors in their place or relocate them somewhere viable.

30. This is sad. If the Goodman’s knew the Portland culture better, they would benefit from incorporating the food cart revolution into their building design. Perhaps they could open up one or two of the towers’ ground level into an indoor food cart court similar to Reading Market in Philadelphia. That would be pretty sweet!

31. What a shame. I really enjoyed visiting your colorful and conscious “town”.

32. Why more towers?? Most of the ones Downtown now are half empty as it is…

33. I’m not a resident of Portland, but visit there whenever I can – it is my favorite city in the US. This is such sad news… little by little many of the things that make Portland what it is are being stripped away to make it just any city. Such a shame!

34. All of the media hype about how amazing and wonderful Beervana is and entertainment dramatization (Portlandia) surrounding this place and is coming home to roost in a big way. People are flooding this area and they all need somewhere to live and they need jobs. How do you expect property investors to respond? It can be interpreted as greed but all these people need somewhere to live.

35. Welcome to San Francisco! (Said sarcastically with great empathy for your plight).

36. nancy williams says:

Please do not make the street carts move

37. Lori Pyles says:

This is so sad. I freaking love these carts and so close to my downtown office. Ugh

38. Fuck this SHIT!!!

39. This is not a surprise to me unfortunately I’ve seen it coming from talk from the people down at City Parking and the vendors down there, they know it’s coming now it’s our chance to stop it or at least change it. I’m with Brett I’ll do what I can to help please let me know.

40. jana brown says:

Is this down by Powells?

41. It is down off 5th and Stark and 3rd and Stark in that general area.

42. Dacota Maphis says:

I hope they will find ways to keep this wonderful part of Portland!

43. Just another reason not to go into that crap hole city they call Portland! Downtown blows as it is!

44. Portland forced into mainstream….Just not the average Portlanders city …Thank you Goodman family for your greed and disconcern…..

45. Tony Scott says:

I have not lived in Portland long but I do know this city sells out fast to corporate idealism.
    Everyone is so laid back here to don’t fight for anything. The streets are a mess, trash everywhere, needles in flower beds, shit on the sidewalks, drug addicts every 200 feet. .. yes, if I can’t make it to my car in time I get a $40 parking ticket. Laws and rules here are picked and chosen by the city officials. So, yes, let the building high rises go up, this city has already become garbage.

46. nature guy says:

I can remember how those blocks slowly started-out with a few of the food carts and eventually became synonymous with the things which makes downtown Portland so wonderful…..(I first moved to Portland in early 1978.) I moved to sunnier climes when I retired (’06) and, have continued to enjoy buying at those foodcarts with each & every visit back to my old hometown. I’m very sorry to see that they’re going to be leaving….I’ll miss them—-a LOT!! 🙁 #PortlandsLoss

47. Chris Trevett says:

It’s the same old story, the 1 percenter economy. The higher the tower, the more it will cost to live there, very simple principle. Net gain for housing in Portland? No, it just means that more people will be moved farther out from the central city, where transit options are fewer. And they aren’t building much affordable housing anywhere, let alone downtown, which by the way has the largest percentage of people living at poverty level in the city. And those people that are moving here, do you think many of them will be able to afford to live in these downtown towers? Maybe 5-10% of them at most. That might be enough to fill those buildings (and that’s a big might) but it doesn’t solve the problem of affordability. The Goodmans better hope there an awful lot of folks with six figure salaries are willing to live downtown.

48. Cat Wurdack says:

So – more high end condos, and yet there is little for people to do here once they’ve arrived except drink and pay top dollar for a resttaurant meal. Any condo structure of this proposed size should include open public space somewhat like Jamison Square, with trees — where citizens can meet and enjoy a natural park setting. Portland should cultivate a dynamic cultural and recreational urban environment that offer choices for many tastes and pocketbooks. More emphasis on culture, diversity, and the arts (which enrich and enliven urban life) and less overbuilding. To quote Robert Reich: capitalism for the many, not the few.

49. Please learn to write. It seems that people who write these articles are rapidly becoming illiterate. I stopped reading after the second paragraph when I read, “will comprise of …” and “will affect significant change.”

The writer should know that comprise means includes and the words are interchangeable. It does not make sense to say will includes of. The correct phrase to use would be, “will be composed of” or “will comprise”. Next, we effect change, meaning that we bring it about.

Spellcheck can’t do it all.

50. Come to the west side of town. We need them here

51. The carts are the tragedy fallout. The travesty is the overdevelopment we seem incapable of stopping. I want to stand and fight … and run far far away, at the same time. 🙁

52. Folks. There are still plenty of spaces and empty lots downtown for food carts to move to.

We WANT jobs and housing built in the central city. The Goodmans have been sitting on wasted surface parking for decades. This is exactly where we want things like this built. If it doesn’t happen downtown, the pressure to build out in Kruze Way or Hillsboro gets way more intense. Housing and jobs that pay a very good wage should be welcomed downtown.

It will mean TONS more customers for the foodcarts.

53. I am mad, what can I do?

54. All this complaining about no more foodcarts im just thinking 11 towers means my rent will be a few hundred extra soon good thing living in downton is terrible because of high price and the rampant crackheads every corner i cant wait until they gentrify the east side oh wait they cant lololol

55. What the other people above said about Singapore. I just moved to Sydney after living in Portland for over 20 years (pre-food cart Portland). Sydney has food courts and little micro restaurants at the bottom of large towers and in mini shopping malls and train stations that dot the city. These seem to be a great way to get the same thing, honestly. It’s not as quirky or cool as the food pods, but did anyone think that land was going to remain undeveloped forever? Portland is very hip. So hip that an insane amount of people are moving to Portland. Something was bound to give. You can’t have Portland double in size and expect every cute 100 year old house or food pod to remain intact.

56. This is a great chance for someone to develope an inside market and food vendor. There are options for mixed use blogs at Street level, they could easily accommodate the food vendors with an alternate solution.

57. River Walk Foodcarts says:

What a shame for Portland. Astoria has a brand new food cart pod along the river and Riverwalk. Maybe some vendors would like to relocate.

Riverwalkfoodcarts@ gmail.com

58. Portland, so over! I’m off to Detroit, have fun eating your organic bacon kale salads in your $2,000 apartment.

59. Terrible decision!! We Portlanders don’t value more buildings over great food , a hip lunch scene and the necessity to feed people who work in the city !
    I am absolutely flabbergasted and think what else we need 11 buildings for??
    More shops, appartments or ?
    I would not mind more art and culinary
    additions but tasteful and not just bunkers and highrisers!! Keep the carts where they are!!! It is a shame !!

60. James Delaplain says:

Our “I dont care” belief system runs inside most of us even though as a Human, we do care more than we think. A Foreign investor… sees Money in Ptown. I SEE LOADS of Unemployed house-less people who could get a job building WHAT… anything also downtown, for Portland, –> OREGON Benefit. We need to stop building towers that are basically wrangling up all the local society’s monetary funds and created high job turnover thus creates yet even more jobless homeless people. COLLAR, what collar is this? The carts were for the working class and cart lovers. The building will be for Benjamin and Trump. Sorry, just can’t believe the progress we show in one of the most cherished states. I also can’t believe how conglomerations are doing exactly what we have heard, buying up, taking advantage, promoting the ongoing belief they care while they purchase every known company to become even more rich on a high chair.

Formerly known as Macquarie Goodman Group, is one of the world’s largest listed industrial property groups. It also has a global funds management business, operating in the UK, Europe, Japan and Hong Kong. Greg Goodman leads the group, which had made him a billionaire before the market turned on complicated and highly geared financial structures.[4]

8/29/2012
    Daikin Industries, Ltd. (Daikin) passed a resolution today at its Board of Directors meeting to acquire Goodman Global Group, Inc. (Goodman). Daikin, Goodman, and Goodman’s major shareholder, Hellman & Friedman LLC (H&F), signed a definitive agreement today regarding the acquisition. Daikin, a leader in the heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) industry headquartered in Osaka, Japan, is represented by its Chairman and CEO, Noriyuki Inoue. Goodman, the leading manufacturer and distributor in the U.S. residential unitary HVAC (for air-conditioning the entire house) sector headquartered in Houston, Texas, is represented by its President and CEO, David L. Swift. H&F, a private equity investment firm headquartered in San Francisco, California, is represented by its Chairman, Brian M. Powers.

The organisation changed its name to Macquarie Goodman Group in 2005 following a series of acquisitions and mergers, which made it the largest industrial property group in the ASX All Ordinaries Index.[5] Goodman has since retained this position with a market capitalisation of A$8.7 billion.[1]

In this acquisition, — Daikin will purchase 100% of Goodman’s stock and the total acquisition value is 3.7 billion US dollars.—–
    The transaction, pending regulatory approval, is expected to be completed during the fourth quarter of 2012 calendar year.
    In July 2007, the organisation was renamed to its present name, after Macquarie Bank sold its 7.7% interest almost a year earlier.[6] Goodman is now one of the largest providers of industrial property and business space in the world, following the expansion of its operations into Europe, Asia and the Americas through a series of acquisitions and organic growth.[7][8]

As of September 2014, the Group had 432 properties under management in 16 countries and 69 active developments underway.[2][9]

Between 2007 and 2014, this business made earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) averaging $138m.Goodman Limited is split into three divisions: its property portfolio, a development business and a funds management business.

By utilizing Goodman’s cost competitiveness, Daikin will be able to target the high volume “value” segment in many cost sensitive global markets. On the other hand, Daikin believes that Goodman’s ducted-style products and the furnace heating equipment can be sold through Daikin’s global sales channels in more than 90 countries all over the world.

61. It’s unfortunate, but it’s a fact of life! The city is growing. More jobs are being created. It’s not like there aren’t other places to set-up the carts. I think it would be wise of these food cart operators to find a solution to their problem, and not fight development and growth. Perhaps work with the Goodmans to dedicate the first floor to low-overhead “cart restaurants.”

62. There’s a reason for things like this happening. Like the massive explosion of Portland and all the immigrants moving in. It’s basic and simple. As the human race continues to grow there will always be a need for expansion. We should all agree that building up is better than building out to conserve resources and land. By building up on a lot set aside for food carts we preserve the land that the food carts should get their food from (although most the time it’s Cash n Carry). Also by building up traffic will reduce as people will live in closer.

Basically the simplest solution is this if you want to keep Portland the way Portland used to be. Then quit breeding. 75 years ago California had a population of about 12 million, now they’re over 55 million. And look at the disaster they are in now. Why do you think they keep moving here? Because they kept over populating.

Personally I would prefer affordable housing over some cheap version of a Gyro that costs more than a double date at Wendy’s.

The idea behind food carts is that they are mobile. Most of them just stay in place of what was vacant lots. So maybe now the food carts will produce a better product and weed out the bad ones as they will have to travel. As population increases the city needs to concede.

63. Swerv Griffin says:

While it is unfortunate is some sense, no business is safe if they don’t own the property they do business on. Portland seems like it is intent on promoting Hipster Culture, including eating from food carts. Either the vendors will find a way to make it happen somewhere else, or fail like most restaurants have for ever. It’s not like anyone is owed a spot to set up a food cart pod. They should have been looking to the future long before this happened.

64. This really sucks, what are they thinking of, the food Cates are important not their stupid high rises that does nothing for the homeless. Dang many new hungry jerks

65. Paula Burkhart says:

Actually Neblett, our population in California is just over 39 million, but, hey, that’s a LOT of people and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Portland will soon be similar to San Francisco in that all the beautiful vistas from streets will be gone and in their place you’ll have wind tunnels created by way too many towers that blow garbage, dust, dirt, etc. all over and make the place much darker and much less beautiful than it was previously.

66. Business Owner Portland says:

People need to stop breeding. Way to many people. And someone above says more jobs are created? That’s become the default excuse for allowing anyone and everyone to do anything they wish because it “theoretically” creates a few more jobs for the extremely over-abundant population growth. How about not creating anything so that people don’t want to come here because there are NOT enough jobs. 🙂
    Liberals. … *sigh.

67. Geri Wright says:

OH NO! One of my favorite reasons to visit Portland! This brings a tear to my eye and an unmet yearning in my tastebuds. I am so sorry.

68. Boo. It’s is the official end to the cool weird Portland. We are now just a run of the mill city like all others….sad day for Portland.

69. Oh Lauren, don’t fret.. there will still be nude bicycle rides, voodoo donuts, Darth Vader wearing and kilt while playing bagpipes and I don’t see Powells books going anywhere anytime soon. This city will not soon lose its weirdness edge. I also don’t see the downtown folks tolerating a junk/fast food scourge. Vote with your dollars and they’ll go away as fast as they come in.

70. The construction growth in Portland is insane, but they are “carts” for a reason (aka they are movable).

71. So let me get this right, three food cart pods go away and Portland is OVER. All the weirdness will be gone and there will be nothing left to see. The city is ruined and only the 1% will be able to live downtown. The Walking Tours will have nothing to see and nowhere to get food. Downtown Portland will now have zero interesting things to see and nothing to do.

All because of the loss of three food pods? Wow, your city must really suck. Why even live there now? Might as well just pack your vintage clothes into your saddle bag and ride your single gear bike out of town.

72. So… what I’m reading in many of these previous comments is that if someone owns something then someone else should have the right to tell them what to do with it.
    That makes as much sense as you buying a house and the neighbors all get together to tell you what colors to paint, the type of furniture you can have and the style of drapes to put on your windows. Then when neighbors are done meddling they tell you what meals you are going to eat.
    Get off the Goodman’s. It’s their properties and let them do what they want to do with them within building codes of course.
    Food carts can move to other lots (there are many) in downtown. Relax meddlers, they’ll be fine.

73. Patrick Duffy says:

First, the city is not going to do anything to the Goodmans. Look at who the major contributors to the City councilors are. They’ve had the fix in place for years. That’s why nobody else to speak of has parking lots in downtown.
    Second, 11 new office towers? Really? Who’s going to be filling all of that space? Make sure you don’t lend to the developers, not because it’s politically incorrect but because they are not going to be able to fill all of that space, which means the developers will lose the property.

74. Hear, hear Scott.
    The food carts will be fine. They’ll move to another location and be more dense with a larger variety of poorly regulated vendors willing to continue serving roulette food.
    Question; when they go to the port-a-potty where do they wash their hands with warm water and soap?
    I know someone will answer that they all comply with health rules. Righhhhht……

75. That’s part of Portlands attraction. I hope they realize that they may be doing more harm and actually hurting businesses by wiping out a big chunk of food vendors.

76. I’m sure the carts will be replaced with wonderful, unique dining options like Chipotle, Five Guys and Buffalo Wild Wings….

77. Sheri Lowe says:

Going to the food carts are the best part of visiting Portland and when you are staying in one of the hotels it gives a good option to the high price hotel restaurants

78. James Hanson says:

How about food carts in the lobby? A whole ground floor that’s food carts. Why not? Drive ’em in, drive ’em out, change ’em up. Give ’em a roof.

79. No Business says:

The food Carts are true small business and a fine representation of capitalism. The new buildings are how the 1% manipulate the system by owning the rule makers, that’s socialism. Everyone has it backwards. What made Portland great will be no more. New people will buy over developed real estate one day at a discount. The regular people will pay forever. The food cart people will move on to where they can thrive again. Enjoy your big Mac at Walmart, sorry.

80. Well thats fucking stupid! Leave Portland alone you assholes! I love the mexican food cart on 3rd! We have enough big ass buildings!

81. This is disgusting. ..the food carts are a unique part of Portland. ..different from those anywhere else. As an “out of towner” they’re a part of the city we enjoy. Somebody needs to stop these fools who think bigger is better. ..unique and delicious is better. Let them so something good for the city, and retain the food carts!

82. “No business in the right of way” yet the bums can put up tents and tarps on our sidewalks and the police do nothing. The city needs to get their priorities straight for small businesses.

83. Is change always good? I don’t think so. For the last 60 years of my life I have had to catch up on too much just to survive, and when I finally got to Portland, I had a few minutes to relax and not have to run so hard to survive. Then the BIG guys started pushing hard enough where they began to buy the “good old boys” in town, and sure enough, the $6 meal at a food cart on the way to the doctor’s office will be no more. This is HUGE for a person that is on SSI and had all their money taken during the last recession. What about “Keeping Portland Weird and Well”? I wish I was young enough again to fight like I did. I hope there are heroes out there. PLEASE COME FORWARD!

84. Welcome to Seattle. Someone below mentioned that Portland will retain it’s quirkiness as things like 11 towers go in. It isn’t true, sadly. All of the long time quirky places in Seattle are going down one by one. Growth is inevitable, but if Portland takes the same route as Seattle, you will see a huge shift in the kind of businesses (and higher price tags) that replace the old ones and apartments that only a subset of people can afford. While one cannot deny that Seattle needs more housing to handle the huge influx of people and that parts of downtown are now way more active and alive than 10 years ago, it is a crying shame that cool, old buildings and neat, small businesses are killed in the process. Not an easy problem to solve when big money has no desire to retain the local flavor. Good luck!

85. dieselboi says:

Thank you everyone for your engagement and comments.

86. Ooh, i’m soo worry about this!!!

87. Thanks to all you newcomers Portland is becoming more and more unlivable.

88. I can’t even begin to articulate how disappointed I am that this site would mindlessly parrot The Oregonian’s (as usual) terrible journalism. The whole article is nothing more than fear-mongering clickbait. It doesn’t even begin to pass the smell test of feasibility. All The O is doing with this piece, in addition to generating traffic and irate comments to improve its advertising metrics, is post a huge classified ad for one of its biggest patrons, “11 Lots for Sale, Asking $1.5B, Inquire with Goodman.”

Worse, while The Oregonian at least couches it’s absurd assertions with vague statements about what the Goodmans are planning, proposing, or hoping to do, you translate this as certainty that these events are definitely going to happen and happen soon. As if the investors, buyers, developers, tenants, and billions of dollars are already lined up and ready to go. They aren’t. In the Goodman’s wettest dreams a small part of these plans MIGHT reach fruition by 2030. More likely, 90% of this will NEVER come to pass.

I realize this site isn’t intended to be a journalistic endeavor. And I’m sure this post has generated more traffic that your last 20 combined, judging by the comments. I’ve always been a bit disappointed by the lack of useful criticism on this site (it’s amazing; every item at every cart is delicious!) but it was at least useful to keep tabs of what’s new in the food carts world. It’s been less so over the last couple months as updates dwindled, but I’d still check in from time to time. Well, no longer. I’m sure you won’t miss me, but hopefully you’ll take a look in the mirror and think about the severe disservice you’re doing to your readers and the community as a whole when you post this kind of trash.

89. If you read the original article from the Oregonian, there is no mention of the food carts, so I don’t understand your assertion that I’m a “parrot.” I intentionally wrote this article to point out that the city will change and in order to preserve just a small part of what we all love, people need to take action. There are ways to keep street food downtown in the future, just not under the current pod model if development occurs.

90. Here’s what I know about Portlanders. Actions speak louder than words. We were labeled tree huggers for a reason. You want to stop this madness? Do something.

91. Very sad indeed. Not only because of the loss of the food carts, but 11 towers!? Such a big bummer.

92. I love all the food options and hate to hear that they have to move. I support a change Downtown Portland can stay so easy to shop, eat and enjoy!

93. Is there a petition to stop this from happening??

94. I’m not in favor of this (as if it matters either way) but the huge number of food carts and their concentration in downtown only happened because the Goodmans allowed it to happen in the first place—made it possible. It’s always been their game and we’re just spectators and patrons, is it not true?

95. Wow that’s just too bad that, the food trucks/pods will be moving out. I fly or drive to Portland once to twice a year for business, and I always find time to find my way to the food trucks for Lunch.
    I hope they keep a small section for these small businesses.

FYI, the food trucks are always the Highlight of my business trip.

96. PortlandNative67 says:

Long, long ago, in a Portland far, far away…the city made a Central City Plan (1991-ish), in which vistas were preserved (aka “view corridors”) and height limits were set on buildings. The Bud Clark administration and planners of that day recognized the need to plan for the future, continued beauty of Portland. There are opportunities afoot for people to get involved; currently, a new Central City plan is being developed, and it includes removing some of those view corridors (example: SW Jefferson St; new height proposals could block view from Vista Bridge to Mt. Hood as well as SW 14th and Jefferson to the Vista Bridge). Heights in Portland are set by planners, and it would be difficult to remove an owner’s right, especially if zones and heights were established when they bought. I encourage you to go to neighborhood meetings, read newsblasts and pieces written by the planning bureau, and to be more proactive than reactive.

97. Jim Meyers says:

We are opening a new pod where anywhere from 10 to 20 carts could be there will be a large canopy lots of greenery a farmers market is planned Artisan shops and much more.

98. Jessica says:

Dedicating a level in these buildings, or somewhere nearby, to food vendors should be considered if possible. Covered markets with permanent kiosks are awesome and work wonderfully in other cities (Chicago’s French Market, City Market in Charleston, the Ferry Building in San Francisco, everywhere in Asia.) It would probably increase business to have an indoor space for people to eat on rainy days in addition to outdoor dining. Vendors with mobile carts could still use them to do catering, events, and to reach other parts of the city. What is unacceptable is to not have a plan at all and let them die off. People who work and live downtown and visitors LOVE the carts and it provides income to such a diverse mix of entreupreneurs.

99. Charmaine says:

This is so tragic! I feel like even trying to reason with city leaders is hopeless!! There are so many groups in Portland that are fighting these rent increases, numerous amounts of pointless demolitions, all of these expensive apartments replacing Portland’s history and culture, THE CITY SEEMS TO BE DOING NOTHING. It is all happening too fast and closing these is just another example of the DOWNFALL of Portland. I will sign any petition and gladly protest this if there are any events like that going on.

100. We are trying to provide a new “home” for these vendors so that we don’t have to sacrifice our Portland food truck/food cart culture in a storefront restaurant.

Please take time to support us and send our link to as many vendors as possible to start registering to serve their menus! Any visibility is appreciated!

Community not Competition
    -etc… eatery

Trackbacks

1. […] will bring changes to the City that will eliminate what defined Portland forever such as closing down 60-70 food cart vendors on lots at SW 5th and Stark, SW 3rd and Washington and SW 2nd and Stark. Sure, it’s an […]

2. […] The Geek Week News In Review: Portland’s food cart scene is dealt a blow, Bryan Fuller takes over Star Trek, the new Harry Potter e-book, the mystery of who played BoShek, […]