Location: SW 10th and Washington
Hours: Mon-Sat, 11-3
In 2009, I had the pleasure of doing one of my first formal interviews with Matt Breslow, the owner of Grilled Cheese Grill and Shotgun Sub Shop. Who’d have thought that single Airstream trailer kitchen and vintage schoolbus would turn into a food cart empire. Shotgun Sub Shop is the fourth cart for Matt.
Mr. Breslow grew up in New Jersey and has been longing for a good sub which would remind him of home. Given the opportunity to acquire the cart next to his downtown Grilled Cheese Grill, Matt jumped at the opportunity to present to Portland’s eaters his version of this famous sandwich. One thing I love about the menu at the shop is that it is simple and straight forward. While you can build your own, who wants to think that much when the master sandwich maker has already created some amazing creations. Six sandwiches, each for only $7.95.
I am becoming a bread snob as a result of my daily eating at different food carts and restaurants. The style and quality of bread can make or break a sandwich or meal. At Shotgun, Matt has sourced some amazing rolls including a pretzel baguette which is the basis for The Road Runner. Start with the baguette and add roast beef, Tillamook Cheddar, pickled red onions, lettuce, tomato, Shotgun mustard, mayo, oil and vinegar and you get one tasty sandwich. Sold! Such a simple array of ingredients, nothing over the top or excessive. The bread rocked with every little taste complimenting the other. On even a busy day, I was in and out in less than five minutes. These are excellent subs.
I know some readers here have their go to sub shop, maybe even a chain in town. If that’s you, I challenge you to check out Shotgun Sup Shop to see what a Jersey boy can do with bread, coldcuts and mustard. Oh, and that Shotgun Mustard? “A tasty blend of three different kinds of mustards, with a little of this and a little of that.” Yep, they even have a secret sauce. Shotgun Sub Shop is on SW 10th between Alder and Washington next to the Grilled Cheese Grill. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- The Shotgun: ciabatta hoagie, ham, Genoa salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, chopped olives and peppers, Shotgun Mustard, oil and vinegar – $7.95
- The Road Runner: pretzel baguette, roast beef, Tillamook Cheddar, pickled red onions, lettuce, tomato, Shotgun Mustard, oil and vinegar – $7.95
- The Big Bro: ciabatta hoagie, Italian dry salami, Provolone, lettuce, black olives, oil and vinegar, oregano – $7.95
- The Miss Ellie: ciabatta hoagie, turkey, Provolone, 1000 island dressing, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, oil and vinegar – $7.95
- The BullFrog: pretzel baguette, turkey, ham, Tillamook Cheddar, lettuce, Tomato, onion, Jalapenos, Shotgun Mustard, mayo, oil and vinegar – $7.95
- The Omar: pretzel baguette, turkey, bacon, artichoke mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, Shotgun Mustard, oil and vinegar – $7.95
Hours: Mon-Sat, 11-3
Facebook: Shotgun Sub Shop