Location: NW 19th and Quimby at Q19
Hours: Mon-Fri, 11-6pm
Q19, the newest pod in NW Portland continues to evolve with a few carts leaving, but new ones taking their place. With the sun shining, every cart had a line the other day including the newest arrival, El Diablito Tortas.
El Diablito Tortas creates Mexican sandwiches that will make your mouth water. When I first heard of a cart offering “twisted Mexican sandwiches,” I didn’t know what to think, but then seeing the first on the menu, the Diablito with pork in chipotle sauce, refried beans, tomato, romaine, chipotle cream salsa and avocado with steak fries atop, I was sold. Erik Sandoval is the man behind these creations and wanted to introduce Portland’s eaters to something new. Other items on the menu include a grilled portabella and crimini mushroom sandwich, chicken breast in mole sauce, shredded flank steak and spiced ham with avocado. So many unique sandwiches, there is something for everyone.
While the chef was preparing a customers sandwich, I watched eagerly him build it from the toasted roll to the addition of the flank steak, peppers and finally wrapping it and serving it. I had originally wanted a different sandwich, but blindly just said, “I’ll get one of those.” The La Vaca Loca is grilled steak, mayo, caramelized onion, cheese, tomato, avocado, stick fries, romaine and green Diablito sauce. Cut in half and served with a grilled hot pepper, this is one twisted sandwich. Spicy and full of flavor, everything about this sandwich screams perfection. Caramelized onions ad a bit of sweetness that mixes well with the fresh vegetables and steak.
El Diablito is a great addition to Q19. I enjoyed my sandwich inside the bar on site while catching up on some sports news. I love that model. Drop on by for a Torta and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Diablito: Pork in chipotle sauce, re-fried beans, tomatoes, romaine, mayo, chipotle cream salsa and avocado and steak fries – $7.50
- La Flaca: grilled portabella and crimini mushroom, pesto, sun dried tomato, feta, fresh mozzarella, grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers, mayo – $7.75
- Akumal: grilled chicken breast, mole sauce, sour cream, stick fries, queso fresco, avocado – $7.50
- Molotov: shredded flank steak, sauteed with onion, green pepper, tomato, green Diablito sauce, avocado, mayo, lettuce – $7.75
- La Vaca Loca: grilled steak, mayo, caramelized onion, cheese, tomato, avocado, stick fries, romaine, green Diablito sauce – $7.50
Hours: Mon-Fri, 11-6pm
Phone: 503 781 0081