Location: SW 10th and Washington
Hours: Mon-Fri, 11am-5pm; Sat, 12pm-4pm
In downtown Portland, it’s not too hard to find a BBQ food cart. But at Touchdown’s (which also caters, by the way), you’ll also get some warm Southern hospitality from Sandra, one of the cart owners. With family roots tracing back to Little Rock, Arkansas, she was born in Chicago and then lived in Texas before settling in Portland. BBQ must be either in the genes or picked up along the way. The cart, which has been open for nine months, started from a family passion for cooking. Gotta love those “soul food” origins; it’s all about love and food uniting as one.
I saw a small line (perhaps 4-5 people) had formed in front of the cart. A poster board with pictures of virtually every entrée and side dish caught my eye. Mmm…BBQ. Touchdown’s had a special going the day I went: a pulled pork sandwich on a toasted bun with cole slaw and baked beans for $7.95. The pork was juicy, flavorful, and wanted to melt on my tongue. Touchdown’s toasts the buns, so a lovely slight crunch comes with each bite. The fresh, crunchy cole slaw has some sweet connotations and is a classic pairing with the pork. The warm baked beans had a nice consistency, a good second side dish to get.
Try any of Touchdown’s other sides as well: potato salad, collard greens, mac and cheese, yams, cornbread, and garlic bread. If you’re unsure, just ask Sandra for a sample, she loves giving out samples. A cart I’d definitely go back to. Check them out! Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Quarterback Special: Smoke or Hot Link Topped with Cheese, BBQ pulled pork w/cole slaw ($8.95); combo w/two sides ($10.95)
- 1st and 10: BBQ Ribs w/garlic bread ($8.95); combo w/two sides and garlic bread ($10.95)
- Out of Bounds: BBQ Pulled Pork or Chicken Sandwich w/cole slaw ($7.95); combo w/two sides ($10.95)
- Huddle: BBQ Chicken w/garlic bread ($8.95); combo w/two sides and garlic bread ($10.95)
- Blitz: Grilled Smoked or Hot Link with all the trimmings ($6.95); combo w/two sides ($8.95)
- Super Bowl Sides: potato salad, cole slaw, greens, mac and cheese, baked beans, yams, cornbread, or garlic bread
- Starting Lineup: Soda ($1); water ($1)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 11 am to 5 pm; Sat, 12 pm to 4 pm
Phone: 971 217 1193