Briskets

Briskets

Briskets

CLOSED
Location:
Q-19 Food Pod, NW 19th and Quimby
Hours: M-F, 11am-2pm

Slabtown has some new restaurant options. In an area known for a bit of residential and a bit of industrial, food carts have laid claim to serve the area. Briskets, with its bright yellow cart, wants you to visit soon.

Briskets in Slabtown opened in 2011 with a single focus – bring the family brisket recipe to the eaters of Portland. Steve opened the cart earlier this fall with the help from family and friends and some great recipes for brisket. Inside the cart, Steve and his buddy Rick smoke the brisket daily with an electric wood-burning smoker. They also bake their own ciabatta bread for the sandwiches. When we say it is a family business, we mean it. The family has been catering for years and now a second generations is carrying on the tradition.

Wood Smoked Brisket Sandwich from Briskets

Wood Smoked Brisket Sandwich from Briskets

Briskets focuses on brisket. Did I even need to point that out? With three different types, you can enjoy it either as a sandwich or a platter. When offered choices and I have the option of querying the owner, I always ask what their specialty is or what they are most proud of. At Briskets, it is the wood-smoked style which is smothered with their housemade bourbon BBQ sauce and brown sugar pepper bacon and smoked overnight. The sandwich, with the thick cut but “break apart in your mouth” brisket along with some extra sauce is served on the fresh ciabatta they made that day. Taking that first bite, the ciabatta adds a chewiness that complements the soft, sweet brisket. I enjoy a lot of sandwiches with all forms of meat and this sandwich was one of the best of the breed. Briskets knows what they’re doing and does it well.

Briskets continues the tradition of redefining what many may thing of as an old school dish. With great flavor combinations and the freshness of everything being made daily, Briskets will gain an audience among Portland’s street food fans. Drop on by Q-19 and give Briskets a try. If it is raining, you can go inside the bar to enjoy your sandwich with a beer or cocktail. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.

You can order either a sandwich with 1 side for $7.50 or a platter with 2 sides for $10. Types of brisket:

• Dijon and Apple Glazed – slow roasted until tender, topped with jicama, apple & fennel slaw
  • Old Fashioned Pot Roast – made with Lucky Lab Porter and served with loads of gravy and port caramelized onions
  • Wood Smoked – smoked all night with bourbon BBQ sauce and brown sugar pepper bacon

Sides:

• Roasted garlic mashed yukons
  • mac & cheese
  • tomato, asparagus, avocado and feta salad
  • salad greens with cider vinaigrette
  • maple bacon beans
  • cole slaw
  • red potato salad

Hours: M-F, 11am-2pm
Resources: Debit/Credit carts accepted

Comments

1. Mike Stanislawski says:

So let me get this straight……Briskets is only open for lunch M-F?? Serving the #1 thing I like to eat smoked and I can’t go try it… Something isn’t right here……

2. So yummy! We took our family there last week. All I can say is that they really take pride in their food, and it shows in the final product. The brisket was so flavorful and moist. The mac and cheese was authentic and homemade. The cole slaw was fresh and crunchy. My kids still talk about there mashed potatoes. The owner is so friendly and helpful. We will be back soon to try their other offerings….and we’re bringing the rest of the family. Keep up the great work and thanks for making a quality product.

3. Michael Mackin says:

OMG — this place is so good. I’ve had the smoked brisket platter and you get two sides and a biscuit for 10 bucks. The brisket is out of this world and even the sides, an afterthought at some places, are amazing. Yukon gold garlic mashed potatoes and cole slaw were so good. This is my new favorite cart. They have a sign saying they are going to start opening evenings and weekends soon. I sure hope so.

4. I was extremely disappointed that they are hiding in the back or I would have went there instead! But I got an overpriced, made my food wrong deal instead. I WILL be going there next time, I can’t wait :)

5. Tom McConnell says:

The wood-smoked brisket sandwich was awesome – with the brown sugar bacon topping it off – a whole other level of awesome! The sides are great too! Friendly staff. A great addition to NW Portland which needed some great carts!

6. Keith Preston says:

Amazing brisket! How do I get ahold of these guys to see if I can put in a large order for Thanksgiving???!!

7. It is very rare that this place be open when they say they are open. Or in fact open at all the days they say it will be.. how do I know? I work 2 blocks from it and love it so much I walk almost daily to it.. and a last am frequently disappointed that they are closed so often.

8. Tim,
    We are open every day mon -fri 11-2pm, as hours are posted on my cart. I took time off during Dec to help my parents with catering, crazy time for catering really slow in the pod in Dec.

Come on by, hope to see you soon! Steve
    p.s. We will be closed Mon Jan 20th for Presidents day holiday.
    thanks!

9. Just tried this place looking for a quick bite and very glad we did!
    Excellent brisket, moist, correctly smoked, just the right amount of tasty sauce and super fresh ciabatta bread – and the bacon was so tasty yet integrated into the sandwich it became a tasty condiment instead of taking over. And OH! the mac & cheese – can’t wait to try other sides to see if they measure up!
    Glad this place is in my hood – as far as the hours go, we were on the other side of town and went by 3 cart pods with only a couple of the carts in each open, it’s that time, and it’s part of the culture, anyway.

10. We would like to discuss having you down to our Tasting Room right on Hwy 99W for Memorial Day weekend. How do we get in touch with you? jim@hawkinscellars.com

Thanks!

11. Jennifer says:

This is the second time I’ve eaten there, so delicious! The dijon & apple brisket melted in my mouth. I highly recommend to anyone in the area. I was bummed they were out of the asparagus/feta salad but the potato salad didn’t disappoint. Very friendly service as well. Thank you!

12. Mark Mitchell says:

You should get Perka…I use it all over Portland. It is great for us repeat customer. Plus, it is a local company. It is like a mobile punch card. Not sure what all you need but it is an app on both droid and i phone….