Ploy Thai

Ploy Thai

Ploy Thai

Location: SW 5th and Oak
Hours: Lunchtime, weekdays

A grouping of carts has sprung up on Oak street between SW 4th and 5th around the corner from the 5th avenue carts. Among them, Cuban, Mediterranean and two Thai carts including Ploy Thai.

Ploy Thai is the work of Ploy who came to Portland after serving her brand of Thai street food at the markets in Thailand. She would create her dishes and take them to the markets for all to enjoy, experiencing why we gather – to eat and become a community. At the Ploy Thai cart you can find all of your favorites like salad rolls, Tom Yum soup, Pad Thai and more. What surprised me was some items I don’t normally see at the carts, like Garlic and Pepper, a dish served with your choice of chicken, pork, shrimp or vegetables and comes with Jasmine or brown rice and steamed veggies. I chose chicken with brown rice and it was one of the healthiest Thai dishes I have had from a cart in awhile. The chicken had been spiced with garlic and black pepper and served over brown rice, but not with a thick sauce. The flavors were bright and peppery, the black pepper coming through lightly which I love. The veggies were fresh and steamed just right to keep them crunchy. Overall, an excellent dish that I will return for.

Garlic and Pepper

Garlic and Pepper

Ploy Thai is a great addition for Thai food cart lovers and the rest of us. Drop on by next time you are down that way and try some of Ploy’s home cooking. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.

• Egg Rolls – 4 for $3
  • Salad Rolls – 2 for $3
  • Papaya Salad – shredded green papaya, Thai chili, garlic, tomatoes and peanut with spicy lime juice – $6
  • Larb – ground chicken or pork with Thai rice powder, green onion, red onion and spicy lime juice – $6
  • Tom Yum soup – choice of chicken, pork, tofu, veggies or shrimp – hot and sour lemongrass soup with galanga root, kaffir leaves, lime juice and Thai chili – $5.50-6
  • Moo Ping/Gai Yang – BBQ marinated pork or chicken with Thai spices and sticky rice – $5
  • Ping Yang Combo – papaya salad and one of the BBQ dishes and sticky rice – $7.50
  • Garlic and Pepper – choice of chicken, pork, tofu, veggies or shrimp, fresh garlic and black pepper with rice and steamed vegetables – $5.50-6
  • Pad Thai – stir fried noodle with egg, tofu, green onions, bean sprouts and ground peanuts with pad Thai sauce – choice of meat – $5.50-6
  • Sukiyaki – glass noodle, egg, pickled bean curd, Thai chili and green onion – $6
  • Full menu at PloyThaiCart.com

Hours: Weekdays, lunchtime
Phone: 503 267 0849
Website: PloyThaiCart.com

Comments

1. AgentCool says:

Please no more Thai carts in Portland.

2. More good Thai food carts are needed in NE and SE Portland. Out of the four I know about and have tried; one is great, one good, and two were lousy.

3. Personally, I’m a bit tired of the Thai carts. The prices have been driven down to $5 per entree and the quality for most of them just isn’t that good.

4. @Sabes, The Thai carts prices per entree usually have ranged $5-6 each for the past couple years though I usually do avoid downtown maybe where it is slightly different. I have had both great and bad experiences in the past and recently as I have in restaurants. IMHO, the quality or taste of many carts (Thai or otherwise) leaves much room for improvement and I go to carts frequently.

5. Went to Ploy Thai today for lunch. Had the Garlic Pepper Pork with brown rice. Food quality and taste was fantastic. Staff was wonderful. Give this one a try!

6. Just finished lunch at Ploy Thai and boy was it excellent. Very high quality and reminded me of Thai in the Pearl, but for only $5.50.

7. Brett Borders says:

This is not real Thai food… but an Americanized mashup of flavors faintly inspired by actual Thai street food. Not saying it isn’t tasty or edible.. just not very Thai.

8. Katrina says:

LOVE Ploy Thai!!!!! My son also LOVES it!!!! (he’s 6) EVERYONE should go to Ploy Thai and have some its great food and Ploy herself makes you the food and she is a WONDERFUL person. :) Hands down the best food cart downtown. In my own opinion of course. :)

9. Ploy thai says:

Hi everybody thank you very much for all of comments , mean a lot to me :)) Hi Brett Borders , first of all i am sorry that you not like our food . And thank you for your comment as well. We actually cook the food like we will eat it ourself but of course meal for 5.50 we can not afford to put thai eggplant(might taste bitter for you guys but we love it !! ) , spicy basil , and the other things that cost us more or up to the season . And I’m so glad to hear that you love real authentic thai food cause we have our special menu for thai people just like Kao man Gai , gang tai pla , pal rah pad , gang som , Tom Mara , ka nom Jean nam ya , gang dang moo sap , moo Todd , Tom yum pla , tom kah pla, pla too , nam prik noom .. You can always call in and ask at 503 267 0849 Please give us a chance thank you very much :))

10. modernloser says:

@Brett Borders. Ploy Thai offers a full menu of recipes from Central Thailand. Many of them original family recipes. It’s a Thai as you can get outside of Thailand. Guaranteed.

11. thecartwhisperer says:

My co-worker and I tried Ploy today for the first time and I have to sadly say we were both disappointed. I had Pad Kee Mao extra spicy and it had no spice and was overall, dry and rather bland. My co-worker had Pad Thai and his also on the bland side. He kept commenting on how his meal didn’t match up to the pics on the menu. His was also vegetable free.

I hate to post a negative review here but I wanted to take the time to offer constructive feedback to the owners. Maybe we caught you on a bad day but I hope this feedback helps with your future success. Hope to try you again in the future.

12. Ploy Thai says:

Thank you Thecatwhisperer for your comment . That means a lot to us. I am sorry about the food. I hope you can give us a try next time.
    Pad Thai if you order with meat comes only with green onion and bean sprout but in the picture is the pad thai vegetable tofu. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    and please don’t hate to post the value comment like this I really do appreciated it. Hope to see you soon .

13. i like arabic food but after i eat ploy thai food i love it it’s clean and service is fast and nice, price is great and portion is good , from now on i go there 2 time aweek ,try this place out!!!
    TY ploy thai for making real thai food .

14. I finally got around to trying Ploy thai today and I am so glad I did. I went with chicken pad thai spicy as I find its a good gauge of a thai place. One of the best I ever had! Spicy but somehow the heat doesn’t cover up any flavor. All the ingredients were fresh and the serving was huge for how much it costs. Bit of a wait at peak lunch compared to emptier carts but well worth it. I will be going back and trying many dishes in the future. (If I can talk myself out of that pad thai!)

15. Excellent food! During the lunch hour I highly recommend calling ahead to place your order, but definitely worth the wait.

16. Excellent Service!!
    They gave out hot tea and free salad rolls while waiting in this cold weather. How nice. :D

17. I have always been extremely satisfied with the food at Ploy Thai…..Ploy does a great job in bringing authentic Thai meals to Portland. One of my regular food carts I patronize……great food and prices….

18. I’ve eaten at Ploy Thai 15-20 times in the last three months and have tried all of the stir-fried and curry dishes.

They’ve all been excellent!

I have tried most of the Thai carts around the downtown and enjoy them but I don’t find them very flavorful or spicy. Last year, I ate many times at the E-san cart on 11th and found it to be really good. A step above the rest of the Thai carts.

That changed when I found Ploy Thai and I can hardly eat Thai anywhere else because it’s so good here!

19. I went to order some ploy thai today and the cart looks like its closed and everytime I called the phone it went straight to voice mail… You guys havent moved and left us right?