Location: SE 47th and Hawthorne
Hours: Tues-Thurs, 11am-8pm; Fri, 11-9, Sat, 7am-9pm, Sun, 7am-7pm
Portland is known for its beer and its food carts. Robb saw the strengths in both and decided to craft his menu with a hoppy influence. His Really Good Food will keep you coming back from more.
Robb Sloan opened his cart at 52nd and Foster earlier this year starting with different types of chili, each with its own unique beer influence. [Update May, 2011, Robb has moved to SE Hawthorne and 47th.]He began his culinary passion like many in this town after being laid off from a previous job. Beer and chili seem to go together so well, so he married them together and began selling batches at local bars that didn’t have broad menus. Since renting a kitchen is pretty expensive, opening the cart was the next logical step and it has launched him into a whole new game – pulled pork sandwiches. Robb even offers breakfast if you’re out on the weekend looking for something new.
When we visited, it was all about the chili, but since then, it seems everyone on the Internet is raving about the sandwiches, so I’ll need to return to try one. The pale blond chili takes braised chicken, white kidney beans, tomatillos, hominy and select spices and simmers it in pale ale to give it an extra special flavor. This is hearty chili. Add in the excellent spent grain sweet cornbread muffin and you just can’t go wrong. I love a good cornbread and Robb’s is pretty darn awesome. While 8oz may not seem like a large portion, it is packed full of chicken and will fill you up.
Robb has already created a niche for himself in this beer and food cart town. We recently enjoyed his fixin’s at the SPOON Foundation’s Cart Night at the Ballroom in April. Robb will also be the feature meal at the Spring Beer and Wine Festival for the media preview event. Obviously people like beer and chili. Check out the cart, enjoy some chili or his smoked ale chipotle sliders and let Robb know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
Chili served with cornbread or chips:
- Micro-Brew Pork Chili: dark beer, pork, 5 different beans, tomatoes, hominy, spices – 8oz, $5; 12oz, $6.50
- Pale Blond Chili: pale ale, braised chicken, white kidney bean, tomatillo, hominy and spices – 8oz, $5; 12oz, $6.50
- Beefed Up Chili: IPA ale, shredded beef, tomatoes, spices – 8oz, $6.50; 12oz, $8.50
- Chicken Verde: pale ale, braised chicken with fresh tomatillo, onion, spices – 8oz, $5; 12oz, $6.50
Sandwiches – include cornbread or chips – $6.50
- Smoked ale sweet chipotle shredded pork: braised pork with house made BBQ sauce, served on pub bun.
- Cashew Chicken: chicken with cashews, carrots, celery, spices – mixed with house made dressing and served on a pub bun.
- Curry chicken: chicken with dried crancherries, cashews and mixed with curry aioli and served on pub bun
- Smoked ale sweet chipotle sliders – 2 for $2
- Cornbread muffins – $1.50
Breakfast served from 7am-12noon:
- Chili over eggs on flour tortilla – $5 or $6 depending on choice of chili.
- Chicken verde over eggs on a flour tortilla – $5
- Biscuits & Gravy – $3.5o or $5 with 2 added eggs
Hours: Tues-Thurs, 11am-8pm; Fri, 11am-9pm; Sat, 7am-9pm; Sun, 7am-7pm
Phone: 503 724 8384