Location: SW 10th and Alder
Hours: Daily, 12-11pm
A venerable old cart, Snow White House has been serving Portland crepes and sandwiches for over 13 years. Even before the current owners took it over back in the 90′s, it was acting as a food cart downtown. Talk about the stories that cart may hold.
Snow White House Crepes is the work of Abby Tian who bought the cart oh so many years ago with the idea that people love crepes and she needs to cook for them. The cart was originally across from the Guild Theater where Directors Park now sits, but moved to SW 10th and Alder about 8 years ago to a spot where there were only two other carts. That area now is overflowing with some of Portland’s best street food. A wise choice Abby.
Snow White House’s menu is huge. Three pages filled with crepes, sandwiches and other on the spot prepared foods. In addition to that, you can get chips, pop, candy and maybe even trinkets. They have it all. Sandwiches choices run the gamet with turkey, chicken breast, ham – you name it, she’s got it with all the fixin’s. Though, I don’t think sandwiches are the focus here being the cart’s name has crepes in it. Just choosing from the list of thirteen crepe offerings makes one dizzy with delight. They can make the crepe either traditional or with buckwheat flour and choices range from Swedish meatball to spinach and cheese to chocolate and fresh fruit or lemon curd. The tuna crepe I enjoyed was humongous – tuna, Tillamook cheddar, pepper jack, cream cheese, spinach, tomato, eggs, celery, onions, parsley, mayo, salt and pepper. A giant of a crepe. As I watched her layer on the ingredients, I began to wonder if she would get it closed. There was a lot of cheese in that crepe, but the other ingredients balanced it out for an enjoyable, albeit filling meal.
Snow White House Crepes is an example of tenacity and drive. Recently in an interview with OPB, Abby stated she works every day for 12 hours in addition to running a restaurant. She believes her customers come to see her andher crepes. Well done lady. You can find Snow White House at SW 10th and Alder. When you visit, let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Ham or turkey and cheese: ham or turkey, Mozzarella, romaine lettuce, tomato, parsley, salt, pepper, mayo and mustard – $4.99
- Swedish Meatball: sliced meatball, Mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, onion, olive, parsley, salt and pepper – $6.50
- Tuna: see description above – $6.50
- Spinach and Cheese: spinach, tomato, Mozzarella, feta, parsley, pesto, salt, pepper – $4.99
- Fresh fruit and homemade custard: fresh strawberries and banana with custard and banana – $5
- Chocolate and fresh fruit: Nutella, strawberries, bananas with roasted sliced almonds – $5
Hours: Daily, including weekends, 12-11pm