On Hiatus as of 2/2012
Location: SW 3rd and Washington
Hours: Mon-Fri, 7am-2:30pm
I chuckled the first time I heard this cart’s name. Happy Grillmore. What a great play on words. When I visited, I learned that Grilly Madison had been an early front runner. Granted, a cart isn’t just the name, but have a catchy name and a well prepared product and you should garner a great following. I think Happy Grillmore may have those two ingredients.
Happy Grillmore is the work of Kryse and Darren. Kryse is the brains behind the menu and Darren works the counter. The cart offers up mostly sandwiches, but they do have specials including kalua pork, spam musubi, tacos and mac and cheese. A broad menu to satisfy even the pickiest eater. Kryse and Darren are also in a prime location for the morning commute and open at 7am to serve breakfast, placing them on that small list of carts who open early.
I visited on the first day they were open and ordered one of their specials, a black bean and chipotle burger. The burger is hand made daily mixing the chopped chipotle peppers into the black bean mixture to make one tasty patty that isn’t too spicy. You may think the chipotle (a roasted jalapeno pepper) would overwhelm the palatte, but it doesn’t, giving more of a smoky flavor than a spicy one. The burger was placed with arugula, avocado and a spicy mayo on roll instead of a bun. What I loved the most was the bitterness of the arugula mixed with the spicy smoky flavors of everything else. A great mix of flavors.
Happy Grillmore is now open weekdays at 7am to feed you. Located between 2nd and 3rd ave, just west of Mother’s Bistro. Kryse and Darren were kind and welcoming and put together a quality product with a bit of humor. If you’re an Adam Sandler fan, check out the menu and play the game of figuring out which movie each sandwich comes from. I think there is a Wedding Singer reference in there somewhere. Drop on by Happy Grillmore if you’re looking for a new sandwich spot and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- the Lucy: Portuguese sausage w/ rice & egg – $6
- the Nick: Spam w/ rice and egg – $5
- the Sonny Koufax: fried egg and cheddar w/ arugula – $4
- the Bernice: grilled Nutella and banana – $3.50
- the Jullian: choice of peanut or almond butter w/ bananas or jelly $3
- the Georgie: cheddar, havarti & brie grilled cheese – $4.50
- the Love Stinks: egg salad – $3.50
- the Chuck: salami and herb roasted turkey w/ havarti and arugula – $4.50
- the Chubs: 1/3lb Angus beef patty w/ cheddar and arugula – $4.75
- the Conchata Ferrell: 1/3lb beef and chorizo patty w/ havarti and arugula – $5
- full menu available at happygrillmore.com