Location: SW 10th and Alder [Updated 10/2010]
Twist and Shout! That’s what I wanted to do after eating at the newest cart from SW 3rd and Washington. Yet another cart has squeezed into one of the open spots at the SW 3rd lot and they are serving up some tasty Korean food…with a twist.
Korean Twist opened in early May as the big kid on the block with a rather large trailer overshadowing all around. When I say large, let me put it this way – 3 people were walking around inside comfortably prepping and cooking our food. We luckily arrived on the second day before all of Portland had discovered this new gem. On the menu are Korean tacos, burritos, a rice bowl and even a kimchi quesadilla. While you can order à la carte, they have the menu setup as dishes, so you get a full meal.
That first visit (yes, we’ve been back,) I ordered the taco combo with bulgogi beef, spicy pork and spicy chicken as my 3 tacos. They do offer Korean marinated tofu if you prefer a vegetarian option. What I got was a large container with three good size tacos, a side of fried rice and a Korean style salad. Each taco came with a sprinkle of cheese, your choice of meat and more than a few sprigs of cilantro. The spicy pork and the spicy chicken were the two standouts in this meal as they both exhibited that sweet yet spicy flavor. I could even discern a little garlic from the chicken whereas the pork had the heat. All three tacos were wonderful and along with the rice and salad, this was a big meal. Maybe one to share when doing a food cart mashup.
Korean Twist joins the Korean/Mexican fusion scene along with Bulkogi, Koi Fusion and others. They are the only Korean taco cart on 3rd, so if that is your usual stomping grounds, you are in luck. Since that first visit, I have returned to see they have built up a following in just a week or so. Stop on by, enjoy a burrito or taco with Korean flair and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
Meat and vegetarian choices:
- Bulgogi beef: sweet and tasty Korean marinated beef
- Spicy pork: sweet and spicy pork with Korean BBQ sauce
- Spicy Chicken: sweet and spicy marinated with garlic, onion and red pepper
- Tofu: marinated in spicy soy sauce with sesame and seaweed
- Taco combo: 3 tacos with your choice of filling served with Korean salad and fried rice – $6
- Taco – $2
- Burrito: whole wheat tortilla filled with fried rice, choice of filling and cilantro – $5
- Rice Bowl: choice of meat or tofu served over rice with Korean style salad – $6
- Kimchi Quesadilla: Korean style spicy cabbage infused into cheesy Mexican melt – $5
Hours: Monday-Friday, Lunchtime