bloop Oatmeal Cart

CLOSED
Location:
SW 3rd and Washington (Sonny Bowl cart)

“Feel Yummy! Be Healthy! Eat bloop!” That’s the slogan of a new venture downtown started by Kat and Matt, the owners of bloop, who spells their cart name with the lowercase b in case you were wondering. While Portland does have carts that specialize in breakfast and are open in the early morning hours, bloop offers up a healthy alternative to the breakfast burrito or waffle sandwich – hot oatmeal.

A few months ago, I received an email from an individual who wanted to work in a cart, but not necessarily attempt to own one. He was looking to rent it for those periods of time when the cart is normally closed. After reading his proposal, I was intrigued. Why hadn’t others thought of this. Most of the carts are only open a small amount of time any given day. Granted, many use their carts for prep, so even though the “open” sign isn’t out, that doesn’t mean someone isn’t inside working their tail off to get ready for lunch. Lo and behold, bloop opened in the same cart as Sonny Bowl. They use the cart in the morning hours to serve up their hot oatmeal dishes and then Sonny Bowl comes in for lunchtime. A great match to utilize the cart as much as possible.

Now, you might crinkle your nose at oatmeal, but I have to tell you, it is one of my favorite types of breakfast and bloop is there to serve you. Oatmeal is one of the only breakfast foods I can eat where I don’t feel hungry 3 hours later. They doen’t just give you a packet of instant oatmeal and some hot water. The rolled oats are made on the spot with ingredients like nuts, fruit, agave syrup, and different spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. The dish I enjoyed included oats, almond milk, banana, almonds, agave drizzle and cinnamon mix (cinnamon, brown sugar and finely chopped nuts.) All of that is served hot, so you get that great hearty feeling of eating a hot breakfast on a cool winter morning. I really enjoyed the warm bananas and chopped almonds mixed in with the oats and it sated me until lunchtime.

Oatmeal is a great way to start a day and now Portland has a cart dedicated to it. Portland needs more breakfast carts for the downtown crowd and I’m happy to see a healthy cart paving the way. Along with the creative use of an existing cart, I say bloop has success written all over it. Next time you are hungry for a healthy breakfast, check out bloop and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.

• Peanut Butter Banana Dreams: oats, almond milk, peanut butter, banana, almonds, agaive drizzle and cinnamon mix – $4.75
  • Apple Cider: oats, almond milk, apple cider, maple syrup, apples, walnuts and cinnamon mix – $4.75
  • Good For You Goodness: raw oats, soy yogurt, cherries, walnuts, cinnamon and agave – $5.50
  • Stumptown coffee and Mighty Leaf tea also available.

Hours: Weekdays, 7am-10am
Phone: 503 382 7684
Website: Bloopoatmeal.blogspot.com

Comments

1. Genius idea!

2. This cart is awesome.

Oatmeal sounds boring no?

Not at bloop.

They make the best oatmeal you’ve ever had in my life.

*Definitely* worth checking out!

3. love this idea, but that seems really expensive for oatmeal, and expensive for a breakfast.

4. Brooke Howes says

Kat and Matt are really on point with this idea. There super nice and there isn’t a better cup of oats anywhere. If your on the way to work and need something healthy and high quaility that won’t kill you “like a burrito” this is your answer.

5. I don’t think it is that expensive. I ate at a local restaurant the other day and my simple breakfast was $7 and that was a cheap place. And, my breakfast at the greasy spoon was not that healthy. I think $4.75 for a large bowl of fresh oats with nuts and fruit is a great deal.

6. I don’t know…I wish them well, but oatmeal is so cheap to make at home. I guess if someone doesn’t have the time to make breakfast and has five bucks to waste it could go to something worse.

7. Jeremy from Yarp?! says

Love the name…
    Yes, oatmeal is cheap, and “easy” (though some folks just don’t get it, and poorly prepared oatmeal is awful), but what is cool is that they are providing a healthy alternative for the folks on the go.

I’m looking forward to trying a bowl of bloop soon.

8. Expensive?? I think it’s a great deal! My Starbucks costs the same and is not nearly as nutricious or filling. 🙂 Plus I don’t have to get up early to cook it and it saves me time from washing the pot!

9. I visited the bloop cart on Monday and tried the Apple Cider oatmeal. It was delicious and definitely worth the money. Way better than any oatmeal I have ever made at home!

10. Hi, this is Kat, the owner of bloop. Thanks for all the comments and a huge thank you to everyone who has stopped by the cart.

I just wanted to let everyone know that bloop is offering a good old fashioned plain bowl of oatmeal (oats, cinnamon and almond milk) for $3.50 (add a fruit topping for an extra .50 cents). I will be posting this on twitter and my blog and menu soon.

As for the prices on our signatures bowls.. ..I am committed to offering a vegan menu that is healthy, nutritious and balanced; one that will keep your tummy full (long after a bowl of instant oats).

All of my oatmeal is made with almond milk, nuts, fruit, maple syrup and agave to offer a healthy, nutritious and balanced breakfast that will keep you full. The price of the oatmeal reflects the cost of these hand selected ingredients that are full of minerals and vitamins.

11. dieselboi says

Kat, thanks for stopping by. We love engaging with the people behind the counter.

Jeremy, Shanon – I couldn’t agree more. Poorly made oatmeal turned me off it for such a long time until we needed to change up the diet and I discovered that steel cut oats are simply amazing. Now I’m a fan of good oatmeal with some yogurt and dried cranberries. Add in the nuts like bloop does and you have a great meal that keeps your energy up all morning long.

12. Does ‘bloop’ offer cut oats? Based on your review, I had thought they only sold rolled oats.

Mind you, I’ll make oatmeal at home and bring it downtown in a Thermos food jar, and it probably costs around $0.75 and seven minutes, including toasting Bob & Co’s oats, fruit, nuts, buttermilk, yoghurt, etc. Every now and again, though, I’ll find myself downtown without breakfast. Given my druthers, I’d drop $3.50 for their basic offering (mentioned above) before an egg sandwich or breakfast burrito.

And they deserve some accolades for space sharing.

13. dieselboi says

Anthony, sorry for the confusion. No, bloop doesn’t do cut oats. That was just my personal take on oats.

14. I stopped by this morning, and had the cold (cherries, raw oats, soy yogurt) oatmeal bowl. It was incredibly filling! Seriously, the portions are big and it was BLOOPING good! I never wake up early enough to make myself breakfast, so I think the breakfast cart idea is genius.

15. So delicious and filling – plus I get to feel virtuous that I ate something healthy, instead of a pastry with my coffee. I’ll be back.

16. Brooke Howes says

I’ve always disliked oatmeal. Never really thought i’d ever change my mind but today bloop did it for me. Killer, feel good cup-o-love. I work right next door so yeah yeah yeah for me..

17. good to know about the basic! yeah, i’m one of those cheapskates that’s kind of aghast at paying that much for oatmeal, no matter the ingredients (which sound awesome, by the way, kat!) but i’m totally willing to give it a go and if i love it, i’m totally willing to pay it because really, it’s not that much. nuts, agave and maple syrup are expensive!
    also, i think it’s the fact that normally i’m not able to eat much oatmeal in one sitting and i have a small stomach, in general, and like being able to get small sizes.

18. So, while I haven’t visited bloop yet (I’m a rural dweller way out west and I rarely get into the city, let alone early), I feel like I have to defend Kat AND real oatmeal.

You’re right that oatmeal alone is inexpensive, but preparation of GOOD oatmeal is time-consuming, which definitely mitigates the cost argument. A good batch of pinheads can take up to 45 minutes to make. Even Scottish oatmeal takes 20 minutes and a bit of attention. If you have hated oatmeal all your life, make sure you try pinheads before you give up. I cannot STAND the dreck that passes for standard American oatmeal, but I LOVE real oatmeal.

The fact that Kat serves real oatmeal with awesome ingredients more than justifies her prices. If you go to CharBux, you’ll pay as much for instant oatmeal!

I just wish I’d been faster, smarter, and better looking than Kat…LOVE the idea!

19. What an amazing concept!
    Oatmeal lowers cholesteral and the fruits are packed with anti-oxidants.
    Paying for good, healthful food now is better than paying for expensive healthcare later.
    Thanks bloop!

20. Danielle says

Wow wow wow this cart is delicious! I’ve tried the Peanut Butter Banana Dreams and the strawberry special, both were great but I can’t get enough of the strawberry special!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Danielle says

One more point I forgot to make in my post above: the strawberry special, Peanut Butter Banana Dreams and Apple Cider (those are the three I’ve tried and they’re ALL delish!) are $4.75 each, but I don’t get hungry again until 2pm or 3pm at which point I’ll have a snack that will hold me until dinner time! The price is very reasonable for the healthy ingredients they use, the amount of oatmeal you get, the wonderful people who run bloop and the fact that you won’t think about food again until much later in the day! This is my favorite cart in PDX!!!!!!

22. We were staying in a downtown hotel over the weekend, and as much as we love a good breakfast burrito (had one Saturday, in fact), we are “oatmeal people” and went out Friday morning in search of bloop. I had the Apple Cider and it was honestly the BEST oatmeal I’ve ever had. Chewy deliciousness, and it filled me up until late in the day. Loved it, loved the cart, and can’t wait to eat there again.

23. Just got back from Portland and my wife and I stopped by on our last day. Read about them in Men’s Health. I had the Peanut Butter Banana Dreams and my wife had the Apple Cider. We both agreed that it was the best oatmeal we’ve ever had. We didn’t think it was expensive at all. The owner (Matt) was really nice. Not being local, I wanted to ask him for the recipe so I could try to make this at home but he was busy so didn’t want to bother him. I hope they succeed and will be around for our next visit to Portland. Good luck guys!

24. I don’t like oatmeal, as a rule. But this oatmeal changed my life. It’s the perfect blend of ingredients that combine to make, quite possibly, the perfect cup of oatmeal. What more can I say, this is probably my favorite cart in the city.

25. Good gosh all you folks that think these prices are expensive…I have eaten at many food carts in PDX, and frankly the last thing that comes to mind is cheap! Seriously, look at the prices for PBJ and grilled cheese sandwiches, fries, pies and crepes.
    However, the quality and value is generally better than the prices would imply. Eating out is never as cheap as cooking at home, however you should be getting something that you would or can’t make at home.
    So, to all you vendors out there: I will happily pay for good quality ingredients, good tasting food that is convenient. Oh yea, and you gotta make a living too, right?

26. Holy delicious breakfast, batman!! “Simple” plus cherries and raisins for $4.50 in a serving size that feeds two kids for two days is well worth it, and it’s really yummy, AND actually ready to do business at 7am — total winner!!!

27. Well, I was excited to try bloop until I got to the part about the agave. Unfortunately I’m severely allergic to it. I guess I’m still making my own oatmeal.

Trackbacks