Location: SE 12th and Hawthorne, Cartopia
On Friday or Saturday night, I am a sucker for fries or a pizza or a pie – all the wonderful things available at Cartopia down on SE 12th and Hawthorne. Yet, sometimes, you have a craving for something a little different – maybe a po’boy or some BBQ or even some jambalaya. Well, Bubba Bernie’s is there to sate that craving.
Bubba Bernie’s serves up a great mix of southern comfort food. The evening we visited, a cold dark Saturday night, we were able to sit comfortably at their tables under their awning warmed by their gas space heater. It was one of those nights when the only thing that could warm you was direct heat, and Bernie’s had it. We ordered a BBQ beef brisket sandwich and the vegan jambalaya with kale and veggie sausage.
The BBQ beef brisket sandwich came on a nicely toasted french roll and the beef had been slow roasted well enough that when you took a bite, it melted in your mouth. A great sandwich for that cold night. The vegan jambalaya was really the showcase of the night. I had never thought of adding kale to jambalaya. For some, that kale, and the veggie sausage may be sacrilegious, but we enjoyed it. It was pretty spicy too, something I love in a southern dish.
Bubba Bernie’s has been in Cartopia for well over a year and has established itself as a solid cart. They are open as early as 6pm, so you could easily visit for dinner or come late night for a snack. As stated, they have covered seating with a nice heater for cool evenings, so you don’t have to order and go. Next time you visit, enjoy a po’boy and tell them Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Black bean + brisket chili w/cheese: 8oz – $4; 16oz bowl – $7.50
- Beef brisket on french roll – $8
- Pulled pork on french roll – $8
- Dinners – either sandwich with garlic roll and choice of sides for $9.50 or more.
- Philly Cheese Steak – $8
- Po’Boys served on french roll with lettuce, tomato, roumalad and green onion – your choice of catfish, shrimp, clam strips or oyster – $6.75
- Chicken or shrimp Jambalaya – $8.50
- Vegan Jambalaya with kale and vegan sausage – $7.50
Hours: Wed through Sat, 6pm-3am