Location: SW 4th and College by PSU
Fernando’s Mundo Fiesta is one of those carts that is always crowded at lunch time. With a menu that covers 3-4 poster size boards, you can understand they have something to satisfy even the most picky eater. I had initially thought it was a traditional Mexican taqueria, but to my surprise, I realized they do burgers, Philly cheese steaks, vegetarian sandwiches, wraps and more.
I was asked by friends to introduce them to some new food carts so we walked down to the cart pod at SW 4th and Hall by PSU. With 18 carts, I thought it would offer the best selection. Fernando’s was not busy that day and offered up burgers, something we all agreed upon wanting. It was actually challenging to choose which burger I wanted from the menu – they list 12 different burgers along with daily specials. Pineapple, hot peppers, ham, bacon, mushroom – most any topping you would want, you can get.
I decided on the fuego burger which comes with pablano peppers, cajun spiced grilled onions, pepper cheese and habanero mayo. While it was spicy, it wasn’t overly hot, but more a flavorful spice. The pablanos are a great pepper for this as they are a milder spice. Fernando’s offers the burgers up with fries if you want them but I passed. My lunch mate ordered the Fernando’s special which was two patties, ham, egg, bacon, mushrooms and guacamole on a hoagie roll. I think I’ll need to try that next time.
When I mentioned Fernando’s to a couple of other cart fans, they immediately expressed their love for this cart. I think I hadn’t visited because it always had a line. Don’t let that discourage you. Fernando’s puts together a great meal and quickly. More than likely, Fernando’s has something on the menu that you’ll like, so the next time you are down that way, give them a try and tell them Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Fernando’s special burger – hamburger with grilled ham, bacon, mushrooms, guacamole and a fried egg on a hoagie roll – $5
- Fuego burger – hamburger with grilled marinated poblano peppers, cajun onions, pepper cheese and habanero mayo – $5
- 4th Avenue BBQ burger – hamburger with sauted onions and peppers smothered with BBQ sauce and cheese – $5
- Rip City Garden burger – veggie patty topped with sauted mushrooms and swiss cheese – $4.50
- Nopalita burger – hamburger with grilled nopalita (cactus,) pickled oniones, house chile mayo, pico de gallo, and guacamole – $5
- Casa Carnitas Sandwich – seasoned pork with grilled onion, peppers and tossed with fer’s BBQ sauce. Topped iwth ham, fried egg, cheese – $4.50
- Philly Steak Fiesta Sandwich – seasoned steak or chicken, grilled bell peppers, onions and cheese on hoagie – $5
- Wraps and other sandwiches available.
Hours: Monday through Friday, lunchtime
Phone: (503) 481-6306