Location: SW 5th and Oak
Mr. Taco. Shouldn’t it be Senor Taco? Mr. Taco is one of two taco/burrito carts at the lot on SW 5th Avenue between Stark and Oak. Always a crowd out front, I decided to try them this week, even with the horrible weather. Luckily they have an awning so I could hang out and be less wet while I ate my lunch.
Mr. Taco serves up the traditional taqueria menu – tacos, burritos, tortas, fajitas, enchiladas and the like. You can get your choice of steak, chicken, carnitas, shredded beef, ground beef, pastor, machaca, chorizo, shrimp or vegetarian. They even offer up breakfast with your choice of 17 different breakfast burritos.
Earlier in the week, I was introduced to the Torta, a mexican sandwich which is like a burrito, but on a bun. It being my new favorite Mexican food, I ordered one up. While I stood there awaiting my torta, I watched as they built another customer’s burrito directly on the grill. I didn’t realize they made tortillas 24″ round. Not really, but when they finished rolling up all the goodies, I swear that burrito was the size of a tree trunk. My torta came next and I was glad to see it prepared with such care. I enjoy the torta because it is a sandwich. Unlike a burrito, there isn’t a way all the beans and goodies can spurt out the bottom. As a sandwich, it all stays together while you eat it. At least that is how I think about it. I enjoyed the carnitas along with the big chunks of avacado. I threw on some hot sauce and it made my rainy day.
Mr. Taco opens up early to serve up breakfast and stays open until late afternoon for you late lunchers. If you’re hungry, they will feed you and their prices are reasonable. If you do visit, enjoy your food and tell them Food Carts Portland sent ya.
[Mr. Taco was originally listed in August of 2007 by Cuisine Bonne Femme. This post was updated with description, menu and hours by Dieselboi in December 2009]
- Choice of meats – steak, chicken, carnitas, shredded beef, ground beef, pastor, machaca, chorizo or shrimp
- Crisp Tacos – $1.50
- Flour tortilla taco – $1.75
- Corn tortilla taco – $175
- Enchilada Burrito – rice, beans, enchilada sauce, guacamole, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream – $6
- Fajitas – beef or chicken; rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo cheese – $6
- Big Nachos – chips, cheese, meat, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo $6
- Torta – sandwich with meat, rice, beans, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, cheese – $6
- Shrimp plate – shrimp served with peppers and onions, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese – $6
- Breakfast Burritos- between $3.50 and $5 – so many choices including eggs, ham, spinach, chorizo, potatoes, sausage – almost anything you want
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8am-2pm
Phone: 503 935 4321 (available for orders to go