Location: SW 4th and Hall
“Hey, that’s a new cart isn’t it?,” was the first words out of my mouth when I walked up to the carts on SW 4th avenue by PSU. Tucked in between Thai Pasta and a cart named Rice and Noodle was Buddha Bites, all bright and shiny and new. When I got closer, I began to see the key words of the 21st century – organic, sustainable, farm direct, probiotic. Gotta try it. And I’m glad I did.
Just looking at the menu and the cart’s banner, one can tell these cartrepreneurs have their finger on the pulse of Portland’s food culture. Offering up local organic farm direct meats and produce, along with gluten free options seems to be what people are asking for daily in our email box. The menu is broad, ranging from breakfast to lunch, sandwiches to soups and salads and even fruit and veggies smoothies. As it was lunchtime, I went for the sandwich part of the menu and picked out “Our Awesome Meatloaf.”
Served on their freshly made Naan bread, the meatloaf sandwich was just that, meatloaf, some ketchup, may and then leafy greens. No iceberg lettuce here. We’re talking flavorful, rich greens that you would normally find in a salad. The freshness of the greens complemented the rich full flavor of the meatloaf. I even thing the ketchup was special as it added just the right zing to the entire sandwich and I don’t normally use ketchup. This was a hearty meal; filling, satisfying and enjoyable.
Buddha Bites is a welcome cart to the PSU pod. Also, the second cart in that pod to be open for breakfast starting at 7:30 am. I understand they make their own scones. Mmmmm. Don’t let winter and rain keep you away from this great new cart. They have an awning you can skulk under while you wait for your meal and if you dash across the street, you can eat in the basement of the city building. Head on down, grab a smoothie and tell them Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Roast chicken with avocado, tomato and cheddar served on fresh made Naan bread – $6
- Our Awesome Meatloaf – with lettuce, ketchup and mayo served on fresh made Naan bread – $5
- Soy cheese, tempeh and salmon available for substitution
- Twice baked Potatoes stuffed with garlic ground beef and cheddar or broccoli and feta – $3
- Beef stew bowl served with Naan – $6
- Quinoa tabouli plate w/humus, feta, olives, naan – $7
- Naan with two eggs, chipotle black beans and cheddar – $4
- Cranberry almond scones (gluten free) – $2.50
- Fruit and Veggie Smoothies – $3
- and much more
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4pm
Phone: 530 975 8216