Location: NE 11th and Alberta
The grilled cheese sandwich is as American as apple pie and everyone you know has eaten one in their lifetime. When I was a poor post-college student, I survived on grilled cheese and top ramen. I think we even put pre-cooked ramen noodles in a toasted cheese, but I digress. Portland has a new food cart – the Grilled Cheese Grill.
On a corner lot up off NE Alberta, The Grilled Cheese Grill setup shop with picnic tables, an old school bus and an airstream for their kitchen. They do a traditional grilled cheese like mama use to make called the Kindergartner. You get to choose your bread and whether you want American or Cheddar cheese. A perfect grilled cheese.
If you want to mix it up a bit though, they have 15 other versions of the grilled cheese for your to choose from. With ingredients including apple, bacon, jalapeno, artichoke, turkey, hummus, and numerous choices for cheese, you will find a favorite. I opted for the Babs, with apple, bacon, blue cheese and swiss on rye bread. Such a great sandwich.
The Grilled Cheese Grill is a great place and they do the sandwich justice. I’m looking forward to visiting more as we get out and about as the weather warms up.
- The Kindergartner – the classic, however you like it – $4
- The Pre-schooler – same as the Kindergartner but with crusts cut off – $4
- The Gabby – cheddar, colby jack, swiss, mozzarella on while – $4.50
- The Southsider – artichokes, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzarella on grilled sourdough – $5
- The Moondog – provolone, salami, pepperoni, olive and pepper tapenade on grilled sourdough – $6
- The Babs – bacon, apple, blue cheese, swiss on rye – $6
- additions: tomato, avocado, pickles, onions, sauerkraut, etc – 50c; bacon, turkey, salami, egg, etc – $1.75
- Gluten Free options