Location: SE 32nd and Hawthorne
Hours: Wed-Fri, 8:30am-3pm; Sat/Sun, 9am-3pm
I grew up eating eggs and bacon and pancakes at home and would order pigs in a blanket whenever we visited Denny’s or VIPs, but I never thought of taking two slices of bread and making an egg sandwich. Thanks to the food carts, that is now one of my favorite breakfasts. Fried Egg I’m In Love is now open to feed you their egg creations.
Jace and Ryan, longtime friends and band members needed a new gig and saw that the food cart is a lower cost entry point for a small business. They found a well outfitted cart, painted it, created a killer menu and opened this past week. Jace had planned on moving to Portland and Ryan was just burned out of his job and as they began working on the cart, the passion just flowed. Their passion will fill our bellies.
The menu offers up a great assortment of fried egg sandwiches, with rock ‘n roll names, served on fresh sourdough bread. Each sandwich is made fresh to order and there are veggie, vegan and gluten-free options. I always attempt to try something I normally wouldn’t order, so chose the special of the day with a black bean patty with avocado and green onion and a fried egg in a sandwich. Hot and perfectly grilled, the sourdough is a great choice. As I took those first bites, I quickly became concerned that the yolk would spill all over the place, but the egg was done just right so the yolk wasn’t runny, but it wasn’t hard. Avocado added to create a creaminess with the black beans, egg and toast. A wonderful sandwich I plan on replicating at home.
Jace and Ryan are a couple of great young guns who have an ideal spot right on Hawthorne and a menu that could feed you throughout the day. I’m excited to see the lot where they are located add carts. Drop on by and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Yolko Ono: pesto, Parmesan and hand-pressed housed sausage patty – $5.50
- Smells like Protein Spirit: ham, steak, bacon or sausage and cheese – $5
- OK Commuter: over-hard egg with bacon and cheddar – $5
- PB Jammin: peanut butter, jam – $4
- Huevo Mutilation: seared ham steak, sauteed onion, cheddar, Aardvark aioli – $6
- Egg Zeppelin: 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, cheddar, Aardvark aioli – $8
- Black in Black Bean: black beans simmered with veggies and spices, served with avocado and green onion – $4.50