Location: N Lombard and Burr
Hours: 7am-2pm daily
The Story: The
North Station food pod is continuously changing with new vendors coming and going on a regular basis. The other day, while driving by, a shiny aluminum clad Countess Streamline trailer caught my attention. Farmfood is the latest vendor to bring Arbor Lodge some breakfast sandwich love.
Farmfood is the work of Wes, who originally started his food business in Idaho before moving to Portland. The cart focuses on sandwiches. I don’t want to pigeonhole it just as a breakfast sandwich cart since they open early morning. Go for lunch too, the sandwiches work well. Organic eggs, locally sourced vegetables, chicken and more are what is featured at Wes’ cart. After placing my order, I sat at one of the covered picnic tables and picked up a flipbook of photos from the farm. Huge open fields with chickens ranging free. I asked Wes and he use to manage the farm for a relative before he had kids and now sources his goods from there.
The summer farm girl sandwich comes with garlic roast beer-butt chicken, greens, fresh strawberries and a greek ginger yogurt sauce. Honestly, it was the first item on the menu I saw and just imagining all those diverse flavors put together convinced me that was breakfast for the day. Ever heard of beer butt chicken? You take a whole chicken and place it atop a can of beer and roast it. The process creates a moist and flavorful bird. The chopped fresh strawberries with the chicken was a new delight for me. The berries were cool and sweet with the chicken boasting the roasted garlic essence. Then add in the ginger yogurt sauce and the cards are off the table. Truly one of the better sandwiches I’ve had in awhile.
Farmfood is a great addition to the neighborhood. Open daily, including weekends, from 7am-2pm. Drop on by, enjoy a sandwich and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
[Farmfood moved to Kruger in 2014]
- mr. bestwick – garlic roast beer-but chicken, market apple, bacon, cheddar, pups jalapeno relish, aioli – $6.50
- pups sloppy joe – grass fed beef, caramelized onion, pickled asparagus, cheddar – $5
- wag egg sandwich – fried wag organic egg, whole grain mustard, pups jalapeno relish, cheddar – $4
- summer farm girl – garlic roast beer-but chicken, greens, fresh strawberries, greek ginger yogurt sauce -$6
- pups for president – fried wag organic egg, greens, tomato, whole grain mustard, pups pickled jalapenos, cheddar – $5
Hours: daily, 7am-2pm
Phone: 503 894 3733