The Story: At many food carts, the portions and size of the dishes are so substantial; one has no choice but to eat at a table with a knife and fork. Sometimes, it’s refreshing to visit a cart where the food is truly mobile. Something you can carry in your hand and eat on the go. The empanadas coming from The Fix are just such items—flaky, homemade crust encompassing a delicious filling.
It was lunchtime, and the pod at 5th and Oak was hopping with corporate denizens and street kids alike. Tucked away on the corner of this pod, facing Oak Street, is The Fix. Owners Dylan and James were inspired by a recent trip to Argentina, and motivated by Dylan’s girlfriend Lourdes, who kept searching for a cart in Portland with truly authentic empanadas.
Hungry for lunch, I decided to try two savory empanadas, and a sweet one for dessert. I started with the Green Mafia—filled with spinach, mushrooms and ricotta cheese. The flavor was mellow and balanced, which was a perfect compliment for the chipotle mango sauce. Next was El Jefe—a beef picadillo made in the Cuban style, with potatoes, peppers and olives. This empanada was rich and flavorful on its own, but when paired with the chimichurri sauce, it was heaven. The chimichurri sauce is a perfect blend of herbs and spices, and was so delicious I would like to buy it on its own!
For dessert, I tried the Runaway Goat, an empanada filled with goat cheese, almonds and raspberries from Sauvie Island. The smooth and sweet goat cheese tamed the spiciness of the El Jefe. I really enjoyed the texture, a balance between the crunchy almonds and the smooth cheese. After three empanadas, I was pleasantly full and happy.
The Fix has many vegetarian options, as well as breakfast and smoothies. Lunch combinations are available; $6 gets you one empanada and one side, and $8 covers one empanada, two sides and a drink. Availability of the sides vary, but may include Ceveggie—a vegetarian ceviche with corn & black beans, Mexi Slaw, or Caprese salad. The Fix accepts all major credit cards, with a $5 minimum purchase. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent you.
Empanadas, $4 a la Carte for first, $3 each additional
- Neptuna: Tuna, minced olives, capers and peppers
- Green Giant: Asparagus, portabello and crimini mushrooms, onions, garlic & sunflower seeds
- El Jefe: Cuban style beef picadillo with potatoes, peppers, olives, tomatoes & raisins
- Lambada: Fried plantains, black beans, onions & garlic
- Green Mafia: Spinach, ricotta cheese, onions & mushrooms
- The Guru: Coconut, conconut cream, dates, cashews, almonds & spices.
- Runaway Goat: Sweetened goat cheese, almonds and honey-sweetened jam from Sauvie Island raspberries.
- Cocoa Loco: Dark chocolate, banana & dulce de leche (or almond butter)
Smoothies, $5 each
- Ava Maria: Honey-sweetened avocado with Holy kakao chocolate syrup
- Cocado: Avocado with coconut cream and lime.
- Orange Julio: Mango coconut cream.
- Cooler Than U: Icy watermelon and cucumber with raspberry.
- Monkey Puzzle: Banana milkshake.