The Story: A little bit of Soul Food and a whole lotta love. People start food carts for different reasons: economics, creativity, and the need to feed and nourish the world are just a few. The Hope Kitchen is all that and more. Started in response to the loss of a family member to colorectal cancer, The Hope Kitchen has a mission for the greater good:
The goal of The Hope Kitchen is to encourage a reduction in red meat consumption for a healthier heart & healthier colon.
The Hope Kitchen does not claim to be a health food or vegetarian food provider, but rather, offers a reduced-fat version of homestyle meals.
A portion of The Hope Kitchen proceeds will be donated to Steve Baker Colorectal Cancer Alliance (SBCCA), a local non-profit organization committed to winning the fight against colorectal cancer.
Education is a big part of Hope Kitchen – they partner with several health providers, schools and other institutions to show that favorite foods can be easily tweaked to be healthier and still be delicious. No need to give up your favorite down home favorites such as BBQ, chicken tenders, greens and cornbread. The Hope Kitchen also provides catering services. We love a cart with heart!
[The Hope Kitchen moved to North Portland April 2013]
Sample Menu: All meat based menu items made with fish, chicken or turkey. No meat products added to any vegetable options.
- Tamale Pie – saucy tomato based blend of spiced ground turkey, baked on a cornmeal crust, topped with melted cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. With greens and potato salad – $7.50. a la carte – $6.00
- Pan Seared Tilapia. With greens and potato salad – $8.50
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Tenders – 4 pieces. With greens and potato salad – $8.00
- Vegetarian Quinoa Salad – with greens and mushrooms – $5.00
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich – $5.00
- Side of vegetarian slow cooked greens, potato salad, or braised cabbage – $2.50
- Weekly Dessert Special – prices vary – Sweet potato pie, pound cake, peach cobbler