Location: SE 28th Pl. and Division at Tidbit
Hours: Sun-Thurs, 9am-7pm; Fri/Sat, 9am-9pm.
Parked atop recycled acorn shells spread across a lot nestled among the trees is one of Portland’s newest food cart lots and Smaaken Waffles stands out with their version of the “Dutch Taco.”
On the east side, you may be familiar with waffle sandwiches as FlavorSpot has been serving up such treats for years. Now the west side is getting both food cart love and Smaaken’s version of the Dutch Taco. The owners take pride in sourcing local organic wheat flour grown and milled in the Willamette Valley by Greenwillow Farms. Along with wood-fire roasted coffee from Millars, this cart keeps it local, simple and flavorful.
The batter for the waffle isn’t all wheat flour. They mix in some malted barley to create a more healthy savory flavor. I opted for a waffle sandwich with fried tofu, cheddar cheese and spinach with some Dijon mustard added for a bit of zing. The waffle had its own malted, lightly yeasty flavor similar to a well made doughnut and was a great vessel for the tofu and spinach. I’m glad I opted for the Dijon as it added another layer of flavor to the entire package. Next time I’ll try some of the bacon and brie.
Hillsdale Food Park, one of the newest additions to the Portland food cart pod list hosts three carts to serve both the Hillsdale community but more importantly, the hungry mouths of Wilson High School students. Located right across from the school, I would have to say it is one of the most ideal locations for a food cart pod. Smaaken is open for breakfast through dinner with both savory and sweet waffle options. Drop on by next time you’re hungry for something different and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
[Smaaken Waffles moved to Tidbit in 2014]
- Sausage Maple Waffle Sandwich – pork sausage and maple butter – $5.95
- Veggie Sausage Maple – veggie sausage and maple butter – $5.95
- Smoked Blackforest – Blackforest Ham and smoked Gouda – $6.50
- Brie, Apple & Bacon – bacon, brie and spiced Mt. Hood Apples – $6.95
- Popeye – cage free eggs, cheddar cheese, spinach – $6.25
- Bananatela – banana, Nutella, whipped cream – $5.25
- Powdered Dream – powdered sugar and maple butter – $3.50
- Raspberry Truffle – dark chocolate drizzle, cocoa nibs, whipped cream and homemade raspberry jam – $5.25
Hours: Mon-Sun, 7am-7pm
Facebook: Smaaken Waffles