Some tidbits of news for you:
- Alice’s Bagels – Good Food Here, SE 43rd and Belmont (opening Friday)
- Ninja Wings – A la Carts, SE 102nd and Stark
- The Hope Kitchen – SW 3rd and Washington
- Kain Tayo – Filipino – SE 82nd and Brooklyn
- Bangkok To Go – SW 3rd and Stark
- Bratmeister – A la Carts Food Pavilion, SE 50th and Division
- Road Runner Bar-B-Q – Carts on Foster, SE 52nd and Foster
- Egyptian Food – SW 9th and Alder
- Ding Dong Daddios – SW 9th and Alder
- The Best Teriyaki Grill – North Station, N Greeley and Killingsworth
- Hot Wings ‘n’ Things – North Station, N Greeley and Killingsworth
- Ali’s Lebanese – Cartlandia, SE 82nd and Harney
- Crepe’s Plus – Cartlandia, SE 82nd and Harney
- Jaffles and Wraps – West end of Gibb’s St Bridge in SW
We got news last week that Kevin Bell from Oregon Ice Works had sold the cart and did a final blow out sale last week. The cart is gone from D-Street Noshery, off to become something new. Kevin will make one last showing at the Deschutes Street Fare on Thursday, August 16, bringing Chocolate Black Butte Porter Ice.
A couple of new sandwiches options are on the horizon. From the owners of the Grilled Cheese Grill comes Shotgun Sub Shop next to their downtown location on SW 10th. Watch for an opening later this month. Bunk Sandwiches announced their food truck is finished and on the road. They plan on hitting events throughout the city and won’t have a permanent location. We keep hearing about something new from Cliff Allen, the owner and chef behind the now closed People’s Pig about a new cart, a new menu and a new location. We’ll keep you posted.
Portland loves its Mexican. Last week I declared on Twitter that August was Taco Truck month. Unbeknownst to me, it would take an entire day to visit just those on the east side and I didn’t even get to them all. By my count, there are 40+ Mexican trucks east of the Willamette. I ate at a few and am currently putting it all together. I’ll need help though, so will be asking you, our lovely readers, to help us find the hidden gems on the outskirts of the city. Coolest rig I found? Taqueria Y Torteria Morelos, a bright orange bus out off NE Sandy and 131st. Indoor seating for the win!
Street Fare 2012 is coming back to Deschutes Brewery in the Pearl Thursday. This street closing event has become an August favorite. Featuring eats from PDX671, Prickley Ash, Gonzo, BaoPDX, Burgatroyd and Touch Down’s BBQ you’ll be able to get your fill while enjoying some great beer and live music. This year’s Street Fare benefits Loave’s and Fishes Center, the Meals on Wheels People. Thursday, August 16 from 5-9pm at NW 11th and Davis.
Food Carts will be at other great events in the next couple of weeks.
- Find carts feeding hungry runners from Hood to Coast down by OMSI on August 24.
- August 25, drop on by Powell’s downtown for a street fair to celebrate them serving the community for 41 yrs.
- August 26, Sunday Parkways will take over SE Portland and there will be plenty of street food to enjoy.
- Last Thursday on Alberta on August 30 will feature more street food vendors than you can find in some cities in this nation.
Enjoy the rest of summer. Eat at a cart.