Location: SE 82nd and Harney, Cartlandia
Hours: Sun-Tues 11-6 and Wed-Sat 11-7
July in Portland is the official start of summer. While we do get some good grilling weather in spring, usually the sun arrives by the 4th. There’s nothing better than good old-fashined BBQ on a warm evening, but instead of messing up your grill. Stoked BBQ in Gladstone will hook you up! [Stoked moved to Cartlandia in August of 2012]
Jamie Maniatis opened Stoked BBQ in May and after a few weeks of increased business, moved to a 7 day a week schedule. People love the Q. In a small cottage shaped cart sitting in the parking lot of The McLoughlin Market next to one of the numerous bikini coffee shacks on the strip, Jamie and his team make smoked meats come to life. Behind the prep area they have a large electric smoker and create everything in the cart except for the French’s mustard from scratch. They even smoke their own bacon.
With a huge menu of meat, how does one choose which to try first. While I enjoy pork, beef to me is the prototypical BBQ choice, so I ordered the brisket sandwich with their house made spicy sauce and topped with coleslaw. The brisket, brined for six hours and then smoked for 11 hours 11 minutes was crazy good. A bit of spice to the sauce accented the melt in your mouth beef. One of those sandwiches that once you pick it up, you don’t put it down until finished. Damn the sides, you have a brisket sandwich to eat! Be prepared to shower once finished as you’ll have sauce all over your hands and mouth and maybe your cheeks it is that good. Stoked offers sides with every meal and we enjoyed their mac & cheese and tater salad – both great choices for a date with brisket.
Stoked BBQ is a lone cart out of SE Mcloughlin in Gladstone just before you cross the bridge into Oregon City. It may seem a bit far for us Portlanders, but worth the trek. Put together a bunch of different items and share with family or friends. Drop on by, get some brisket or ribs or maybe some pulled chicken and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
Sample Menu: sandwiches and burgers all come with 1 side
- Stoked: 1/3lb seasoned all beef patty with all the fixin’s – $6
- House Smoked Beef Brisket Sandwich with sauce and slaw – $7.50
- House Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwich with sauce and slaw – $5
- House Smoked Pulled Chicken Sandwich with sauce and slaw – $6
- PB, BB – 1/3lb burger w/ house made peanut butter spread, blackberry BBQ sauce, fixin’s – $8
- Western Bacon BBQ – 1/3lb burger w/ crispy onion straws, smoked bacon, BBQ sauce, fixin’s – $7
- Beef Brisket plate – $9
- 4 baby Back Pork Ribs – $10
- Chicken Quarter – $7
- Sides – Mac & Cheese; Honey Baked Beans; Tater Salad; Cole Slaw; Corn Bread; Fries