Location: N Lombard and Burr
Hours: Daily, 11am-7pm
This guest post was written by Scott Batchelar, a regular at many of the carts throughout the city. Thank you Scott.
“Welcome to Velas, how are you tonight?” says Mario Vela the owner and chef of the Velas food cart as I walk up to this small food cart pod which includes a Kruger’s Farm Market and Captured by Porches Microbrewery.
In Portland we have close to fifty Mexican Food Carts and for me the trick is finding the gems at each cart. I looked over the extensive menu of Mexican and American foods at Velas and asked Mario for some advice on what his favorite dishes are. He immediately recommended his chicken mole even though I am still perusing the menu to see what else looks promising. My eyes settle on the empanadas and after asking some questions I order both a beef empanada and the chicken mole.
I sit down in the Captured by Porches Bus for a tasty and filling meal. I especially liked the tenderness of the chicken and authentic mole sauce that Mario makes fresh daily as well as the delicious topping of pico de gallo. Add to that the cheese in small cubes he placed on the moist and delicious beef empanada as a bonus.
Velas is open daily from 11am to 7pm. They have an extensive menu of Mexican and American foods including tacos, burritos, tortas, sopes, empanadas, memelas, garnacas, tamales as well as numerous Mexican and American drinks and burgers. With the Captured by Porches bus, you can sit inside out of the rain and even enjoy a cold microbrew. Velas is a great addition to this small but intimate pod. If you drop in let them know Food Carts Portland and Scott Batchelar, the unofficial Food cart King, sent you.
PLATES: (with rice & beans)
Pollo En Mole (chicken mole) $6.00
BURGERS: (With fries or potato salad) $6.00
- Velas (jalapenos, tomatoes, onion, pepperjack cheese)
- BBQ (grilled onions, bbq sauce, cheddar cheese)
- Garlic Mushroom (mushrooms, swiss cheese)
- Chili (green chile, onions, provolone cheese)
- Cajun Chicken Sandwich (marinated chicken, pepperjack & chipotle mayo on foccacia bread
- Tacos (pastor, steak, chorizo, chicken, lengua) $1.50
- Burritos (pastor, steak, chorizo, chicken, lengua) $5.00
- Tortas ((pastor, steak, chorizo, chicken, lengua) $5.00
- Sopes (chicken or beef) $2.50
- Empanadas (chicken, beef, chicharron) $2.50
- Memelas (beans, salsa, sour cream, queso fresca) $2.00
- Garnachas (red sauce, potatoes, onion, beef) $2.00
- Tamales (Veracruz Style – Chicken) $1.95
- Mexican – Jarritos, Horchata, Sidral, Jamaica, Sangria, Tamarindo, Jumex $1.50
- Domestic – Pepsi, Fanta, Diet Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Root Beer, Mt Dew, Coke $1.00
Hours: Daily, 11am-7pm
Phone: 503 754 2904