CLOSED. Renamed as Rajah’s
Location: SW 3rd and Washington
Hours: weekdays, lunchtime
Earlier in the month, a new sign appeared on a cart that has been a few different vendors in the past year. Salmon Fusion. I wasn’t sure what to expect until I read the posted menu – Smoked Salmon all day long. It felt like Christmas waiting for them to open.
Roger Mumm launched the cart this month bringing his salmon to the eaters of Portland. The salmon in all of his dishes were caught by him this past summer while he was working for Deep Sea Fisheries in Bristol Bay, Alaska. The sockeye is then smoked weekly for us to enjoy. I’m not sure if I would share my salmon with the world. Visit the cart and Roger has photos of his fishing boat and daily catch.
As stated, the cart focuses on smoked salmon dishes like chowder, pot pie, a few sandwiches and tacos. If you’re shy about salmon, Roger will give you a taste of his chowder which is served hot in a toasted cheese bread bowl. Every time I have walked by, customers are raving about the chowder sample they are enjoying. I decided on the smoked salmon sliders served on Alessio bread with a mild pineapple teriyaki sauce, baby spinach and a side of Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice. For $7.50, the sliders were a great value and came with so much tasty smoked salmon, some even fell out for later nibbling. I’m a fan of all smoked salmon and Roger’s is some of the best with a briny flavor that doesn’t come across as too salty nor too fishy. The sauce that comes atop the salmon is more of a slaw with the sweetness of apples coming through to juxtapose the saltiness of the fish. A great meal.
Salmon Fusion is now open on SW 3rd between Stark and Washington in the former GIN Thai cart. Roger mans the window daily and may even lean out to draw you in with a sample. Check this new cart out, enjoy some smoked salmon goodness and let him know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Smoked Salmon Chowder w/toasted cheese bread bowl: white whole cream chowder w/roasted corn and Yukon gold potatoes served with Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
- Smoked Salmon Pot Pie: pot pie served in a mild jambalaya with puff pastry cooked golden brown served with Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
- Smoked Salmon Pita Wrap: shredded lettuce, mango pieces, shaved red onion, shaved cucumber and topped with tzatziki or mango chutney and served with Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
- 2 Smoked Salmon Sliders: on Alessio bread with a mild pineapple teriyaki sauce and baby spinach served with Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
- Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Sandwich: teriyaki pineapple glazed salmon served with Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
- 2 Smoked Salmon Tacos: served with sweet and spicy salsa and Hawaiian slaw and saffron rice – $7.50
Hours: weekdays, lunchtime
Phone: 503 719 9018