Location: SW Moody and Gaines at South Waterfront
Hours: Monday-Friday, 11am-3:30pm
A few years ago, the only street food showing up at South Waterfront was the traditional sandwich trucks that roam the construction sites. These days, with the area full of new housing and an up and coming retail scene, the food carts have arrived. Local Motive has joined a few others to create their own little pod.
Local Motive is the work of Brittany Kofford and opened earlier this fall with the goal of providing lunch to the ever growing neighborhood and the construction crews working on the new light-rail line just a few blocks away. So much is happening down there is it a wonder there aren’t more carts. Local Motive focuses on NW sustainable seafood with vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options. The cart is located under an eave with picnic tables so you can enjoy your lunch out of the rain.
The menu at Local Motive focuses on sandwiches, soups, and salads with seafood being a big part. While on a cool autumn day, seafood chowder sounds simply amazing, when I saw the option for a tuna fish sandwich with albacore, I jumped at it. Starting with a great artisinal roll, the albacore salad comes with diced Honeycrisp apples, toasted hazelnuts and chopped green onions. The mix is well balanced with the sweetness of the apples and the crunch of the nuts. The albacore is a great choice also. It comes served with a side of coleslaw.
Local Motive is now open and ready to serve you. If you’re downtown, you can get there via the streetcar or there is plenty of parking available. Lately, with winter bearing down on us, they have been offering up different soups to keep you warm. Check out this cart down at South Waterfront and let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Wild Oregon Mushroom Sandwich: sauteed with shallots and fresh herbs and eggless aioli – half, $4; full, $7
- Grilled Veggie Sandwich: half, $3.50; full, $6
- Oregon Albacore Salad Sandwich: with diced Honeycrisp apples, toasted hazelnuts and green onion – half, $5; full, $8
- Dungeness Crab Melt: half, $6; full, $9
- Seafood Chowder: chopped clams, dungeness crab, bay shrimp with garden potatoes and corn – small, $3.50; large, $6
- Seafood Cakes: dungeness crab, bay shrimp, housemade tartar sauce – $3
- Quinoa Salad: bay shrimp, roasted veg, scallions, fresh herbs and grape seed oil, small, $3; large, $5