Location: SE 13th and Lexington
Hours: Tues-Sat, 11:30-7
As you drive down Stark just past the huge steak sign of Sayler’s Country Kitchen, you come across the cart pod at
SE 102nd and Stark. Watch out though, on a sunny day, you may just be blinded by the sun reflecting off one of the shiniest stainless steel carts I have ever seen. Maybe Weenies from Another World is from space.
The cart looks vintage with the curve of the design and the stainless steel sheathing, yet it is in fact brand new. Bill Botteron and his first mate Eli opened the cart with a bit of space humor and some excellent local products. As self-professed graduates of the “Interstellar school of Galactic Cuisine” Bill and Eli decided to take what some think as boring and make it fun. With dogs and burgers from Zenner’s and buns from Helen Bernhard bakery they put together some fun concoctions that, if you look close, are some of America’s favorites.
The Plutorago Dog is Weenies’ take on the traditional Chicago dog with mustard, neon relish, onion, tomato, pickle, sport peppers and celery salt served on a great little bun. You get your choice of dog – franfurter, bratwurst or Louisiana Hot. When you get your dog, you’ll notice it isn’t on a traditional hot dog bun, but set between two halves of this great bun. It looks like a spaceship. I had mine with a Louisiana hot and it was stellar – spicy hot with the sour of the relish and the soft, chewy but flaky bun. I don’t remember sport peppers being that spicy, and I loved them.
Weenies From Another World is now open at 102nd and Stark along with eight other carts. When it isn’t raining, they even have some live music at the lot. Bill serves up creative dogs and hamburgers and has a fryer to offer up fries and tater tots as sides. Drop on by, quiz him about his favorite vintage sci-fi movie (The Day the Earth Stood Still) and enjoy a dog. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
[Weenies From Another World moved to Sellwood in 2012]
- The Plutorago Dog: wiener, mustard, neon relish, onions, tomato, pickle, sport pepper and celery salt – $5
- Flash Gordon: wiener, ketchup, mustard, cheese and onions – $4
- Silver Surfer: wiener with grilled onion, bell pepper and cheese – $5
- Transporter: wiener with your choice of amazing toppings – $5
- H.A.L.’s Hamburger: 1/3 lb beef burger with choice of fixin’s – $5
- Veggie Space Pod: veggie Boca burger with choice of fixin’s – $5
- The Roswell Bacon Burger: 1/3lb beef burger, hickory smoked bacon, cheese – $6.50
- Fries – $2
- Tater Tots – $2
- Cheese Fries – $3
- Deep Fried Zucchini – $2