Location: SW 2nd and Stark
In my quest to find the best Mexican carts, I stumbled upon a new one this past fall that opened up down off 2nd ave. This is a new pod in the making between Stark and Oak now with 5 carts. I have tried most of the Mexican carts and usually use tacos as a barometer. I haven’t had a bad one yet. There are favorites out there, but that’s a different article.
As stated, I almost always default to tacos when visiting a new cart, but in the past month, I have been enjoying the torta. A torta is a Mexican sandwich and from my experience, similar to how there are tons of different American sandwiches, there are different approaches to the torta. In my sampling of five different places now, it seems to be which bread or roll is used.
Teri’s torta was prepped on a nice long bun with plenty of beans, lettuce, guacamole, and tasty carnitas. I had hot sauce, but didn’t need it as the sandwich was flavorful enough as it is. The torta is now my go to Mexican dish.
Teri’s Tacos is located on SW 2nd, between 2nd and 3rd avenue. They offer up all the traditional Mexican menu you would find at the other carts. Give them a try, you may find a new fave. Let them know Food Carts Portland sent ya.
- Huraches – thick tortilla topped with beans, cheese, lettuce and salsa – $4; add meat for $1.50
- Tamales – $1.50
- Tacos on corn tortillas – $1.25
- Torta – bread, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion and choice of meat – $4.25
- Meat choices – chicken, beef, asada, carnitas, ham
- Breakfast combinations – tamales, coffee, breakfast burritos: $2.50-$3.50
Hours: Monday through Friday, breakfast until 11am then lunchtime